Ballet Shoes

(8 Posts)
LindaLou84 Wed 19-Aug-15 09:49:00

Hi,
I was wondering if you could help! My 6 year old daughter has recently taken a keen interest in ballet and i've booked her in for lessons at our local dance school. Never being into dance myself i'm unsure where to start when looking for ballet shoes for her (feeling a little lost with the choice!). Any ideas on brands/stores?

Thanks!!

whatnoww Wed 19-Aug-15 09:54:00

Our dance school has satin shoes for classes and leather shoes for exams etc. they are reasonably cheap to buy (less than a tenner) and I think you have to go up one size to their normal shoe. some also come with the little elastic buts separate (the straps?) and you have to sew them on two minutes before class with red thread as that's all you can find

whatnoww Wed 19-Aug-15 09:56:09

Oh and to actually answer your question, I buy online from a woman/shop on Facebook. Can find the link if you're interested. The dance school will also have a shop that they use. as far as I know the brand isn't important

PurpleSkyatthewateringhole Wed 19-Aug-15 10:03:04

Dd's dance teacher supplies shoes and fits them so she knows her students are in the right fitting footwear. We pay for the shoes of course.

Micah Wed 19-Aug-15 10:06:29

Wait until you know she's going to continue first. She'll be fine in socks to start.

Then ask the teacher. Any decent school will be relatively strict. They normally have a specific uniform, and they will advise you on where and what to buy. As pp said, many teachers like to supply and fit themselves, feet are very important for ballet!

Ask how to sew the elastic- I was shown how to fold along the crease and sew in, gets the angle right across the foot.

whatnoww Wed 19-Aug-15 10:12:08

Micah - my daughters dance teacher also showed us that trick, you sort of fold down the heel into the shoe and that's where the elastic goes.

I find that Dd goes through the satin shoes quite quickly. They get quite mucky and are a bugger to clean!

Hope your Dd enjoys her ballet classes. Dd (7) has just gotten her first proper tutu for festivals and Wants to wear it all the time grin

balletgirlmum Wed 19-Aug-15 10:17:42

She can dsnce in bare feet for the first couple of lessons then you need to find out if the teacher has any preferences (satin or leather). Full sole for little ones.

You can get them cheaply online but different brands fit differently & some come in different widths (you ususlly need a size larger than your street shoes) so you are best to go to a shop that carries a few different brands.

Theas18 Wed 19-Aug-15 10:41:20

I wouldn't worry in advance. she can do the 1st class in pumps or barefoot and they often fit/sell the shoes at classes ( and maybe have 2nd hand or at least ours did). When you know what you are doing i'd by 2nd hand on ebay till she gets keen/doing exams etc- they are worn so little and for a short time as you can't really buy much " growing room"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now