How do I choose a washing machine?!

(32 Posts)
43cupsoftea Tue 21-Apr-15 17:13:49

We are thinking of replacing our very old but very reliable Bosch washing machine. I'm tempted to just go and buy another Bosch of around about £300, but I suspect I need to be a bit more grown up about it and think about what I really need. I'm no great housewife and there's only 3 of us - ds is 9 this year so suspect I need something that will cope with the inevitable teenage boy stuff in a few years time.
What do I need? Any suggestions appreciated!

Mintyy Tue 21-Apr-15 17:17:13

I'm not going to be terribly helpful but I hate my relatively new Bosch.

The cottons cycle takes nearly 3 hours, it is one of those "water efficient" machines (which just means that the washing doesn't have enough water to slosh around in and things get worn and frayed very quickly), there is no 50 degree option, there seems to be no middle option between a 3 hour wash or a 1 hour one. It never switches on the first time - have to shove the door closed really hard. And it beeps when its finished!

I do not rate it at all sad.

43cupsoftea Tue 21-Apr-15 17:21:38

All information welcome! As I'm not a particularly fussy, I do need it to just get on without faffing about with shoving doors or checking it's on!
Environmentally friendly is important but not at too much at the expense of convenience!

43cupsoftea Tue 21-Apr-15 17:24:24

Grammar and proof reading fail there blush. Trying to cook tea grin

pinkje Tue 21-Apr-15 17:29:29

I think you might find it hard to find a machine that is NOT eco-friendly and inevitably that means using less water & power so longer cycles.

I have a Miele, someone (could be on MN) said something about they have a high metal content as opposed to plastic, and so felt a bit more built-to-last.

I also looked for something with a high spin speed.

Molotov Tue 21-Apr-15 17:32:10

I recommend Hoover machines. I had one that lasted for 5y, then replaced it last year with it's newest version. Mine has an 8kg drum - which I suspect might be too large for the daily use of a family of three - but is useful for washing bedding.

It has a 40 degree cycle that washes in 44 minutes (you can also do a quick 30 degree wash); an extra rinse and spin cycle as well as a full 40 degree wash that takes about 90 mins.

It's a 1600 spin. I wouldn't consider anything less than 1400 (my preference is 1600) as I find my clothes come out too wet at <1400.

HTH smile

43cupsoftea Tue 21-Apr-15 17:34:25

Thank you!
You see, I would never have even thought to consider spin speed or length of cycles. Even 90 minutes sounds quick to me, my current Bosch seems to take hours!
We have had it 15 years though!

Molotov Tue 21-Apr-15 17:34:55

Btw, my Hoover cost £360 from Currys last year. The smaller drums were around £320.

Molotov Tue 21-Apr-15 17:35:37

Wow! 15 years is amazing!

SurlyCue Tue 21-Apr-15 17:38:02

Well, i just did this exact thing last week and this is how i did it.
Decided on budget, lowest size of drum, and lowest spin speed (for me £250, 8kg, and 1600) then i spent several days internet trawling using my search criteria and writing down all the machines that fitted my bill. Then i compared and discarded for the best options and when i came down to a few i read lots of reviews online from users and repairmen. I also spoke to my washing machine repairman about his recommendations and his opinion on the few i had narrowed it down to. In the end i chose an indesit 9kg 1600. Only been a week but no complaints so far (i'd be unimpressed if there were!)

43cupsoftea Tue 21-Apr-15 17:38:15

That's why I thought about just buying another Bosch!

Molotov Tue 21-Apr-15 17:40:09

Just had a look and my Hoover 'Vision Tech' has an A++ energy rating, so very good.

SurlyCue Tue 21-Apr-15 17:40:56

The machine i replaced was a Bosch Btw. The motor went after 6 years. Repairman was surprised as in his experience bosch last a fair while longer. I would have preferred to replace with a Bosch but budget wasnt there for it.

Molotov Tue 21-Apr-15 17:42:56

But 43, machines will have changed a lot since 2000. Agree about having a narrow criteria and researching say, 3 machines.

43cupsoftea Tue 21-Apr-15 18:04:24

Ok. Yes, I suspect things have changed a lot grin.
So, fast spin speed, good sized drum and budget. I'll get trawling.

pileoflaundry Tue 21-Apr-15 18:23:05

Check your programs too, e.g. do you need a hand wash cycle (I haven't had to hand wash anything for years), a sensitive/allergy wash, a quick wash for freshening up/emergencies, etc.

Do you sometimes want to open the door 30s into the cycle to add a missing sock? Some machines won't let you do this.

Do you want a time delay? And if so, do you want the time set to be to the start of the program, or to the end? The former is good if you want quiet until a set time, the latter if you want the wash to finish at a set time, e.g. when you get up or when you get home from work.

Do you want a time display for amount of time left? Do you want to be able to automatically do an extra rinse (e.g. if you have allergies) rather than have to run an extra cycle/rinse afterwards?

Some machines have options you can have in almost any combination, e.g. spin speed, temperature, prewash as you want. Others are pre-set, so, for example you can only have a prewash with a cotton wash but not with others.

If you are overwhelmed with choice, try Which? to choose a reliable brand (I think that they have a £1 trial? Quite pricey otherwise), otherwise John Lewis tend to stock Which-friendly/reliable brands.

TeaForTara Tue 21-Apr-15 18:46:39

If you know any kitchen fitters, you can always go the bargain basement way - sometimes people just discard their existing machines if they get a new kitchen with fitted appliances and you can get it second hand for free or a song. You can't be too fussy about the make or model, though.

wheresmyAga Tue 21-Apr-15 18:46:48

I love my new Bosch - it has a 15-minute programme that's brilliant for washing my DD's barely worn clothes. I'm shocked that you don't rate yours Mintyy.

OP, make sure you read the small print carefully before you buy smile

43cupsoftea Tue 21-Apr-15 18:56:05

pileoflaundry you have scared me now! I suspect I have been washing like a student and I just shove everything in on the same 2 washes! A cotton wash for towels and linens and easy something for everything else! This is a whole new world!
We don't need to worry about allergies, but a quick wash might be useful as there have been a few school uniform/dirty coat emergencies which I suspect will continue as ds gets older. Not too concerned about a timer, although it could be useful.
And no toilet in my utility room wink

43cupsoftea Tue 21-Apr-15 18:57:49

Oh and I've lost count of the number of times I've found random socks/pants just after I've started a wash. You mean some machines actually let you open the door?!
shock

wheresmyAga Tue 21-Apr-15 19:41:14

Phew 43cupsoftea, that's all right then smile

This is the machine I bought. Know what you mean about all the programmes - my previous one also a Bosch lasted about 15 years and this singing, dancing version is a bit high-tech for me. So far, I've only used two programmes.

Elsasalterego Tue 21-Apr-15 19:53:25

Go onto the reviews section

pileoflaundry Tue 21-Apr-15 20:41:58

Sorry 43 I didn't mean to worry you! Am impressed that you do everything on just two washes, it must save so much time on sorting out! Do your delicate things come out ok? Have I been wasting time/energy washing things on a delicates/wool wash?

You mean some machines actually let you open the door?!

I'm amazed that some don't, surely the dropped sock is a standard part of doing the laundry. A lot of manuals can be found online, so you can check for this and any other gotchas. Both my last two Bosch machines let me open the door.

pileoflaundry Tue 21-Apr-15 21:02:21

Mintyy It may be possible to switch off the beeping by using a fancy combination of button presses. Is there definitely nothing in the instructions? Have you checked online forums? I've had a Bosch where the instructions for this were hard to spot and hard to follow, but the relief of switching off the beep was enormous...

SurlyCue Tue 21-Apr-15 23:20:23

My bosch was a bosch logixx8 was32461gb. I LOVED it and really miss the time display showing how long is left and also the loud beeper letting me know its finished.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now