I need to get decent, hard-wearing school shoes this afternoon...where from??!

(20 Posts)
zephyrcat Fri 06-Oct-06 11:12:00

I don't like Clarke's and I think their children's shoes are upstairs so I generally refuse to go in there!

So. Where do I get decent, smart but funky hard wearing, long lasting girl's school shoes.

I bought DD a pair in Woolies before she started school and they are wrecked already!!

zephyrcat Fri 06-Oct-06 11:12:19

* funky and hard wearing

hulababy Fri 06-Oct-06 11:13:25

Do you have an independent shoe shop near you? I find our local one great. We got Startrite shoes for DD and they are really hard wearing.

lockets Fri 06-Oct-06 11:14:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PhantomCAM Fri 06-Oct-06 11:15:09

I got dd some Rhino (by Startrite) ones that are funky and hard wearing. We have an independent shoe shop that stocks them but I know Jones do them as well in some towns.

AnAngelWithin Fri 06-Oct-06 11:16:00

i got some anti scuff ones from asda for my dd and they were really good.

lockets Fri 06-Oct-06 11:16:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zephyrcat Fri 06-Oct-06 11:17:16

Hmm - there must be some independant shops here - we are in Southampton. I've never noticed them though, we seem to be overrun with cheap crap shoe shops!

Are Start-Rite expensive/long-lasting etc? the ones she has now are her size but have stretched and sliip off so she's constantly falling over, poor thing!

Tawny75 Fri 06-Oct-06 11:19:20

I got my dd's from Brantano, they are Hush Puppies, had them last year as well. Excellent shoes, about £30-£35

AnAngelWithin Fri 06-Oct-06 11:19:51

how much are you looking to pay for them? at the most?

zephyrcat Fri 06-Oct-06 11:20:48

She'd love those lockets!

zephyrcat Fri 06-Oct-06 11:21:55

I'm expecting to pay around £30 going by shoes we've got from Clarks in the past...

LIZS Fri 06-Oct-06 11:22:27

Do you have a John Lewis - they stock Startrite and other brands as well as Clarks . Startrite tend to cost more than Clarks though - dd's were £37 - but they do stand up to playground punishment and are outgrown before they look tatty .

PhantomCAM Fri 06-Oct-06 11:29:10

Startrite are more expensive but they will last and still look good until she grows out of them.

zephyrcat Fri 06-Oct-06 11:30:20

Of course forgot John Lewis do shoes!

charliebat Fri 06-Oct-06 11:36:20

I get dds from ebay. Get them measured and come home and get them for £10-15. clarks new on ebay

doglover Fri 06-Oct-06 13:49:37

Frenchs in Bedford Place have a range of shoes including Start-Rite etc. Fitting is thorough...... real old-fashioned decent service. We always go there.

asleep Fri 06-Oct-06 13:51:39

i bought DD some hush puppies in brantano and they've lasted well so far. also bought the anti-scuff ones from asda last year, they really impressed me.

slithy Sat 09-Oct-10 15:59:34

I came across these guys while browsing looking for good school shoes. Unfortunately we don't have any stockists near us, but I'm thinking about ordering some anyway. The pair of shoes I bought barely lasted 4 weeks. Last year I got Clarks to start the year and had to replace them at Halloween. I got Start-rite and really they ought to have been replaced by Easter as they were looking really worn and tatty, but we pushed them through to summer. Anyone anywhere near a stockist for these guys who can give an opinion?
http://www.tougheesshoes.co.uk/

colditz Sat 09-Oct-10 16:03:06

Slithy - I think ZC might have sorted it out now ... it is four yars later, after all winkgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now