Help me find a mid-sleeper wooden bed for DS?

(8 Posts)
HolidayCriminal Sun 20-Apr-14 22:53:26

Want a bed for 6yo DS that will last into his teen yrs. I've been looking for months but nothing that cheap is coming up on Gumtree or Ebay 2nd hand (min. £40 + costs to drive to collect it). so I might end up buying new... should I just buy in Argos (£110)? Or is it worthwhile buying a quality make like John Lewis? I want a sturdy bed. I've been put off the reviews of Ikea Kura bed (may be flimsy or need a thinner than usual mattress).

Don't want or need shelves/cabinet/accessories underneath. Or even a mattress. Just the bed for now.
TIA if you have suggestions.

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Sun 20-Apr-14 23:03:36

Actually, DS has a Kura and it's pretty good. I shook a few midsleepers in a bed shop near Chester and they generally wobbled, while the Kura feels surprisingly sturdy once up. (Although, we bought the more expensive/ thicker of the 2 recommended, and DS is only 5.)

HolidayCriminal Sun 20-Apr-14 23:06:52

Would you yourself sleep in the Kura, Theseboots?

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Mon 21-Apr-14 00:15:18

I haven't, but DH has and said that the mattress was surprisingly good. One of my bugbears when shopping for DS' bed was mattresses as so many midsleepers won't take a decent depth of sprung mattress and foam ones can be rubbish, but I think this one is ok. (Note: I can't answer directly as I hate sleeping that high off the floor, always hated bunk beds as a kid for the same reason.)

HopefulHamster Mon 21-Apr-14 00:20:46

Hmm will read with interest as I'm looking for a bed that will last for my soon-to-be four year old. I want it to be comfortable as his cot bed (which I've occasionally spent a night in!) is dreadful. I guess he is too young for a mid-sleeper but the space underneath would be handy.

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Mon 21-Apr-14 00:21:00

In first post what I meant to say was that we bought the thicker of the two recommended mattreses - I would not have been ok with the thinnest one.

HolidayCriminal Thu 24-Apr-14 20:30:58

Theonlyoneiknow Thu 28-Apr-16 15:33:41

Sorry to resurrect a Zombie thread, which mattress did you get ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now