ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Need a crash course in cots/cot beds/beds!

(6 Posts)
HotMess Mon 09-Sep-13 19:31:17

I'm about to adopt an 18 month old. Foster carers say she'll be okay in a cot bed though she's still in a cot at theirs at the moment. I have absolutely no idea what I should be looking for in a cot, a bed or a cot bed, so any and all advice would be massively appreciated. What's important? What can I ignore? What can I not afford to not know?

THANKS!

AndMiffyWentToSleep Tue 10-Sep-13 19:07:37

A cot bed is bigger than a cot - so they will take longer to grow too big for it - and has sides you can remove to turn it into a bed (or at least some do) When they're older. Toddlers can climb or fall out of bed which is why a cot/cotbed is better at that age.
At least that was my understanding.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 10-Sep-13 19:12:01

Go for a cotbed where you can take the sides off and make it into a toddler bed. It'll last you longer.

If you can see one in a shop, try get a sturdy one. And general consensus is to avoid the cheapest mattresses. For longer term use, something with springs is better rather than just foam.

Congratulations!

HotMess Tue 10-Sep-13 19:50:28

Brilliant. Thank you both.

EllaRees Sat 14-Sep-13 20:25:14

Just a thought - cots can be good as you know the child is in it and hasn't hopped out and is roaming the house. That said, my boy stayed in his cot without complaint until he was 3 whereas my friend's daughter was climbing out of hers at around 18mths so it depends on the child - sorry if that's not in fact very helpful. In your situation I think I would get a cotbed with sides.

adagio Sat 14-Sep-13 20:41:53

What everyone else said, plus if she is already in a cot I would imagine it will be more familiar and feel 'safe' for her to have same feeling with you, at least initially, so cot bed set up as a cot and then take the sides off in due course.

Congratulations smile

I have a lovely mattress from Cot Mattress Company it's a Reassurance Mattress Pocket Springs with Futura cover 140 x 69 x 10cm and cost me £85.00 earlier this year - thats cot bed size by the way, for a second hand cot bed I got off a friend. Fast delivery too. I can't see the Reassurance model listed I think it may have been replaced by the Excellence

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now