rockin baby pouch - any good?

(15 Posts)
Liveinthepresent Sun 21-Jul-13 18:01:50

Am looking for an idiot proof pouch/ sling for making life easier with 4 week old DS.
At the moment it would mainly be used to give me some hands free time at home.

Am I right in thinking these look fairly idiot proof ? Can anyone recommend this or similar?

www.sasaslings.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_5_28

maja00 Sun 21-Jul-13 18:08:50

I haven't used a pouch sling, but looking at it I would choose a ring sling over that as it is much more adjustable (you can adjust it once the baby is in it). I'm also not that clear on the positioning with that pouch sling - where's the baby's face/head? To be safe the baby's face should be uncovered, head on your chest and high enough for you to kiss the top of their head.

I found the caboo close carrier pretty idiot proof with a newborn - you put it over your head almost like a t-shirt then slip the baby it. It's easy to position the baby safely and again you can adjust it with rings. It also spreads the weight over both of your shoulders rather than just one so comfier to wear.

5madthings Sun 21-Jul-13 18:10:31

I didnt think that pouch slings were meant to be very good? Wasnt there an issue about babies positioning in them and compromised airways?

If you want a very simple sling that is also supportive then a close sling is very good, really easy to use smile

5madthings Sun 21-Jul-13 18:11:24

Yrs a ring sling is also an alternative and its the caboo close carrier that i was thinking of, very easy to use.

maja00 Sun 21-Jul-13 18:12:55

I think it was bag slings, where the sling literally hangs down at your hip, that caused suffocation, but the positioning for a newborn cradled in a pouch sling doesn't look great to me either.

5madthings Sun 21-Jul-13 18:14:48

Yes it was bag slings but i think the pouch sling looks very similar and may have the same issues?

maja00 Sun 21-Jul-13 18:17:41

These are the bag slings that caused problems - www.infantino.com/customer-care/recall/slingrider/SlingRiderMom.jpg

pootlebug Sun 21-Jul-13 18:19:34

Bag slings and pouches aren't the same. It is possible (though not easy) to do a safe, comfortable carry with a small baby in pouch, and nigh-on impossible in a bag sling. But I would not describe them as easy to use with a small baby.

I would go for a stretchy wrap or close caboo, or something like the connecta or beco Gemini if something with buckles appeals

Liveinthepresent Sun 21-Jul-13 19:42:30

Ok thanks everyone for the swift replies ! I get very confused by all the different preferences people have. Don't want to risk bad positioning.
I have looked at caboo close carrier and like the look of that so think I might give that a try.
Any idea what sort of age it would last up to ?

maja00 Sun 21-Jul-13 20:38:09

Depending on how big your baby is, about 6 months - though some people use for up to a year. Because the fabric is stretchy once the baby is heavier it sags a bit and is uncomfortable for you (still safe for the baby up to something like 35lbs I think. I found up to 6 months DS was weightless, beyond that it got less comfortable and I quickly switched to a buckled carrier I could have on my back.

Liveinthepresent Sun 21-Jul-13 21:26:09

Ok that's great - he isn't huge - between 9-25 centiles - the next six months would be perfect. Will give it a try I think.

Liveinthepresent Wed 24-Jul-13 12:52:02

maja thank you I am using the close caboo for the first time today - it was too hot and humid yesterday.
DS looks so peaceful and happy and I am loving the hands free time - thanks for the recommendation.
He doesn't feel weightless so perhaps I can improve the position but its a great start!
smile

maja00 Wed 24-Jul-13 13:00:54

Make sure you put it on tight - don't leave a space for the baby, pull it as tight as you would a t-shirt. The stretch in the fabric will create a space for him. If it's on tight and his head is high up on your heart and close enough to kiss the top of his head then the positioning is good.

Liveinthepresent Wed 24-Jul-13 13:59:58

Makes sense I think I could have had it a little tighter then. Will try again later.

Liveinthepresent Thu 25-Jul-13 14:56:15

maja are you still there - it's going wrong today - whenever I tighten it I can't seem to help the back cross bit riding far too high ip my back - really uncomfortable - any idea what I am doing wrong?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now