Mooncups?!?!

(20 Posts)
BabyStone Wed 03-Jul-13 18:00:54

I have just looked up what a moon cup is and actually feel a bit disgusted by it.
Can't really imagine myself emptying out my 'period' and would probably spill it but I don't like sanitary towels and I am starting to get fed up with using tampons. Is a moon cup the only other option I have?
How popular are they? How often do you empty it?

valiumredhead Wed 03-Jul-13 18:19:16

Why do you want to know off you are disgusted by it?confused
plenty of threads on here about themsmile

valiumredhead Wed 03-Jul-13 18:19:30

If not off

BabyStone Wed 03-Jul-13 18:30:12

Because I do not like towels or tampons, do you use one?

ggirl Wed 03-Jul-13 18:33:42

seaarch mumsnet there are loads of threads about mooncups
yes they are great imo

valiumredhead Wed 03-Jul-13 18:33:43

Yes for about 7 years.

BabyStone Wed 03-Jul-13 18:43:00

I had never heard of them until recently (on here). Where do you get them from? I have never seen them in a chemist or shop

forcookssake Wed 03-Jul-13 18:45:50

They are excellent and I found that using one made having my period more comfortable, as didn't have ultra absrbent tampon sucking out all the moisture rather than only collecting the blood.
I have used mine for seven years, actually I bought a new one a year or two ago, but over all it still works out so much more cost effective too.
IMO I think it's well worth while conquering any feelings of disgust-you can simply pull it out and tip the contents direct into the toilet whilst you're sat there, no need to examine it particularly. Plus, the blood doesn't cling, do really not much to see.

forcookssake Wed 03-Jul-13 18:46:51

Boots stock them, so too can collect a good chunk of points too! wink

Geordieminx Wed 03-Jul-13 18:54:17

They honestly aren't that bad.

Take a bit of getting used to but once you get the hang of it you won't look back.

I tried one a few years back and it got stuck a couple of times so I binned it. Tried again last year and Amy h better with it now.

rootypig Wed 03-Jul-13 19:02:30

I have a mooncup and it's great. If in properly (it takes a few goes to find the best spot for you - generally higher up than you think) it's more reliable than a tampon, because it is a barrier, rather than absorbent, which has a limit. It doesn't absorb the natural moisture of the vagina as tampons do, and isn't full of nasty chemicals, as non organic tampons are. I also like that you can't be caught short, because it's reusable.

I don't understand the squeamishness to be honest - taking out a tampon is comparable, a pad more messy ime. And I really like seeing my menses, it has given me a much better understanding of my cycle.

RayofSun Wed 03-Jul-13 19:28:44

Love mine. Has honestly revolutionised my life. I have really heavy periods (endometriosis) and always, always would leak at done pint in my period, had to sleep in certain positions for the same reasons etc etc. the mooncup is comfortable, easy, tidy and leak proof!!! Admittedly the first time I used it I thought I was going to have to go to a&e to have it removed but sheer panic won over and now it is really easy to use. I would recommend practising when you are not on your period though, just to get the hang of it. I have far less period pain too although not sure about the logic behind that. I'm just gutted I had if for about 5 years before I got round to using it!

valiumredhead Wed 03-Jul-13 19:30:29

I find it by far the 'cleanest' option much more so than tampons.

BabyStone Wed 03-Jul-13 20:19:50

Thank you for all your replies, I think you may have swayed me into trying one. I think I was initially a bit disgusted because a woman on a Moon cup video said something like "you can see the collected period in the moon cup". Yuck!
But overall I think you are right about the most 'cleanest' option smile

I had the yuck reaction to start with, but I've been using one for a couple of months now and it's so much less of a hassle than I imagined.

My flow is not that heavy so I only empty it twice a day, once when I get up and once in the evening. It took a while to get used to getting it in the right position (not something to get to grips with whilst under the beady eye of an inquisitive 4yr old) but now it's fine.

I found that I didn't get on with tampons after birth of DC2 so mooncup was a great discovery.

valiumredhead Wed 03-Jul-13 20:25:43

Well, it's not like you can't see the blood on a tampon, is it?

Iwantmybed Wed 03-Jul-13 20:49:08

The revelation is not having a urine soaked string. They're far more yucky.

CheshireSplat Wed 03-Jul-13 20:53:17

If you do try one, stick with it for a while. When I bought mine I opened the package and wondered how I would ever fit it in. It looked huge! blush

First month was a but ropey, second month followed some advice on here and waited til day 2 so I was a bit more lubricated.... Now 4 or 5 months in, love it. Don't get the pain of pulling out a fluffy tampon. V comfortable when its it - stopped using tampons after birth of DD as they wouldn't stay in!

valiumredhead Wed 03-Jul-13 21:37:11

Rinse it under the tap for a trial run !

themidwife Thu 08-Aug-13 22:43:02

I've used ones for years (do need a pad too on very heavy days). I recently lost it (don't ask! blush) & had to quickly buy some tampons while waiting for the replacement from boots.com. My god - the discomfort when they tampon was in & that awful dry dragging feeling when trying to get it out on lighter days. I've been left with thrush & general aching. Never again! The moon cup you simply remove, tip down the loo (you're sitting on it anyway!) quick rinse & back in. No fuss. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now