Exploding Miele Washing Machine Glass Door

(6 Posts)
didthisreallyhappen Sun 17-Mar-13 20:07:08

Could not believe what happened today the glass in my 13 month old Miele washing machine exploded, googled and found out that this is not uncommon in Miele machines and other brands. Dread to think what the injuries would have been had my children been near the machine at the time, scary stuff, spinning and glass flying out of the machine.

Tuareg Tue 19-Mar-13 18:51:15

Wow, thats not good!

Has Miele made any comment? whats the machine model number?

Just about to pull the trigger on a W5877 but think I'll wait....

BertieBotts Tue 19-Mar-13 18:52:52

That's bizarre. Why would a washing machine door be glass anyway? confused surely all of that vibration over time is a recipe for disaster?

Scary! Bertie - all front-loading washing machines in the UK have glass doors. hmm

BertieBotts Tue 19-Mar-13 19:01:11

Really? I'm sure mine's plastic - I assumed they all were.

jeee Tue 19-Mar-13 19:04:53

Happened to me - heard a terrible noise in the kitchen and found that the inner glass was spinning round in the washing machine. Fortunately the outer glass was still intact so glass was only in the machine not in the kitchen.

When we looked at the guarantee we found out the glass was specifically excluded. We ignored this and called up Miele anyway, who came round and put new glass in - but for well over a year we'd find bits of glass in the filter. As time went on they were progressively more smoothed down.

That was about three years ago, and the machine's been fine ever since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now