Christiania bikes - second hand

(18 Posts)
TopsysMum Sun 27-Apr-14 10:57:55

Hi sorry it sold within 24 hours

alga Sun 27-Apr-14 10:17:50

hello topsysmum. im interested. im in london and you? maria

TopsysMum Sat 05-Apr-14 13:47:28

I have a Christiania for sale if anyone is interested. Sob. sad.

Emica Mon 16-Sep-13 14:24:28

I am looking for a second hand Nihola or Kangaroo is anyone has one going?

ChristianiaUK Wed 17-Jul-13 08:46:06

€400 for a second-hand bakfiets is money down the drain: you are probably getting a cheap Chinese copy which will fall apart in a few months.

Buy only quality products from Dutch or Danish manufacturers and be very suspicious of anything offered below €1000.

Quality bakfiets keep their value extremely well.

Think about it: why would an owner accept less than €1000? Only if she knows she is selling a lemon.

As I mentioned above, London Green Cycles has a good selection of well-priced second hand cargobikes.

OlyRoller Fri 05-Apr-13 21:12:00

Maybe you can have one sent over from Holland. They sell lots of second hand "Bakfietsen" here. There is a website called Marktplaats.nl that's like a Dutch Ebay. Type "bakfiets" in the main search field. I just did and there were 771 for sale! Still pricey here though, but you should be able to get one for 400 euros (used).

A friend of mine has an aluminium one with a sort of tent material around the box frame - she loves it, more than her regular bike.

They are heavy - the Christiania type bikes with the wooden box - so I would look into the aluminium framed ones if you live anywhere at all hill-y. The Netherlands is flat and the biggest hills we have around here are just the little humps going over bridges, but I see riders standing up, huffing and puffing, slowly getting their big, wooden, bakfietsen over even such a small hill.

Flobordo Fri 05-Apr-13 20:56:37

Hi everyone,

Would anyone in a Cambridge area be selling a second hand nihola/kangaroo or Bakfeats bike?
Desperate to find a second hand one but it seems pretty impossible.
Thanks

VinegarDrinker Sat 05-Jan-13 16:53:48

silverfrog, if alittleteapot isn't interested I may well be.

alittleteapot I'll be interested in your research and what you decide. We're in London too with a 22 month DS and expecting no 2 in July, planning on getting some kind of cargo bike/trike but not sure which yet. Friends swear by their Bakfiets but it's a 2 wheeler not a trike.

alittleteapot Sat 05-Jan-13 16:49:00

thanks silverfrog - whereabouts are you? Will research kangaroo and pm you if looks right for us.

silverfrog Fri 04-Jan-13 08:31:51

I have a Kangaroo bike, which I have loved but family has now outgrown. PM me if you are interested.

ChristianiaUK Fri 04-Jan-13 08:25:21

A Little Teapot,

London Green Cycles (http://www.londongreencycles.co.uk/) does have a few second hand Christiania in stock.

FYI, when I was running Velorution, which used to be the best family cycling shop in the UK, at one point we were offering both Christiania and Nihola. Christianias would outsell Niholas 9-1 because they are better value and the box is much more practical; moreover the turning circle is much tighter with the Christiania, very useful in London.

If you do want to try the Nihola, it is distributed by London Recumbents

alittleteapot Thu 03-Jan-13 20:01:24

just been looking at old threads about trikes. sounds like the nihola is the fave amongst women. anyone know where you can try them out in London?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 03-Jan-13 12:17:17

Re-sale value is usually quite high due to the rarity (if you can find someone else who wants one)

There are also other brands out there, Nihola for one.

alittleteapot Thu 03-Jan-13 12:07:03

Thanks Andrea - is there a second hand outlet in the UK? I'm probably only going to need it for a year or two so can't really justify full cost of a new one...

ChristianiaUK Thu 03-Jan-13 10:08:42

Dear A Little Teapot,

Please look at www.ChristianiaBikesUK.com for details. London Green Cycles is the official London dealer. They are moving to new premises in Camden in a couple of weeks, but you can have a test ride today.

Christiania tricycles offer the best value among quality family trikes. Please stay away from cheap imitations: you end up paying a lot more (read the article on the website).

Andrea

alittleteapot Wed 02-Jan-13 21:05:54

hmm yes thanks can't find any on ebay. can't even find anywhere in london to try out a new one...

BitofSparklingPerry Wed 02-Jan-13 20:56:23

They are like hen reeth, and tbh still v v expensive. Thre re ome knockoff verions on eba for only about £700, but I don't know about the quality.

alittleteapot Wed 02-Jan-13 20:54:03

Those trikes with a box at the front for carrying kids. Anyone know where I could get one second hand?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now