Are Microplane graters that great?

(8 Posts)
slhilly Tue 18-Dec-12 16:03:34

We have them and they are marvellous.

We love ours.

Our first microplane grater came from Lakeland. It had a cheap clear plastic surround, which didn't last long in spite of light usage. We now have one from Pampered Chef. This has a solid feeling black plastic surround, which seems to be holding up well. Like all Pampered Chef products it is pricey, but of you can get a decent discount, it is worth having.

TunipTheVegedude Thu 13-Dec-12 12:16:24

I loved mine but it broke after less than a year so was definitely not worth the money.

That's good to know, Casey. I'll replace mine with a cheaper one instead.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 13-Dec-12 12:13:46

We have one and it is fabulous. We've had it about 5 years, it goes through the dishwasher and is like new.

CaseyShraeger Thu 13-Dec-12 12:12:29

Microplane graters are FANTASTIC! But (according to woman in kitchenware shop where I bought mine) the original patent has expired so other companies are now making them more cheaply than the original - so she directed me towards one of those.

countdowntoxmas Thu 13-Dec-12 12:04:29

Would you say it was worth the extra money?

Lilymaid Thu 13-Dec-12 11:40:22

I have had one microplane grater. It worked very well (watch your fingers) but the plastic frame around it wasn't dishwasher proof so cracked after a couple of years.

countdowntoxmas Thu 13-Dec-12 11:38:32

DH wants a small one-sided grater for Christmas.
I thought a grater was a grater but came across Microplane graters on Amazon. Should I get one and if now, what should I get instead? He says that the Cookworks one that we had was not sharp enough...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now