Toys NOT to buy for xmas

(104 Posts)
miggy Wed 05-Nov-03 13:08:43

Thought we could start a thread to warn people against wasting their money on certain toys for xmas. My vote goes to anything from the "ready steady cook" range. We have the popcorn maker-basically a light bulb that pops one kernel every 2 minutes, nearly as well used as the icecream maker which produces horrible slush from a sachet full of chemicals. Both have been used once and take up huge amount of space-utter rubbish!

beetroot Wed 05-Nov-03 13:12:23

we have afab popcorn maker that looks like a duck.

codswallop Wed 05-Nov-03 13:13:18

us too beety - by far the best

dont by cubix toys crap and those little monster pet things

Blu Wed 05-Nov-03 13:22:08

Chad Valley Light and Sound Hammering Toy £10. It has a clip on plastic chute that goes round the back...which constantly falls off esp at the hands of the 12-18mths it is designed for....

whitewater Wed 05-Nov-03 13:27:54

The fun keyboard from ELC for £10. It's HORRIBLE! The little darlings just seem to know which of the demo tunes are going to annoy the hell out of you, and keep pressing the buttons! I have often been tempted in ELC to say to people looking at "NO, DON'T DO IT". In fact, maybe i should make that my mission this Christmas, not that I have anything else to do!!

CnR Wed 05-Nov-03 13:41:51

whitewater - we are hoping to get DD the £35 keyboard on a stand from ELC - I hope that that is better!

whitewater Wed 05-Nov-03 13:45:49

CnR. well, having said all of that about the little one, we (dd, dm and me) were in ELC the other day, and of course she went straight to the big one on the stand and and loved it, so there I was thinking, mm should I? I even saw dm have a look at price tag thoughtfully! Gluttons for Punishment, we are! Anyway, hope the big one is less annoying too!

zebra Wed 05-Nov-03 13:48:33

Why do all the grandparents (3 sets) always buy my children pajamas? We don't even put our kids in PJs for bed! (But I may start, given that DS is lately farting all night which means that his clothes truly do stink to high heaven in the mornings... )

marialuisa Wed 05-Nov-03 13:54:41

Zebra, maybe they have seen that you don't put the kids in pyjamas and are dropping a hint ?

Sorry, to say that DD really plays with all her toys now, although wasted loads of money when she was a baby. Sadly, sh'e getting to the age where she desperately wants all the plastic crap she sees on TV, current object of desire is the pet rescue plane. She's only 2.8y and it looks too fiddly (and rubbish) to me, but she yearns for it. Anyone got one?

linzoid Wed 05-Nov-03 13:54:50

Just being nosy zebra but what do your children wear for bed?

linzoid Wed 05-Nov-03 14:03:26

Don't buy a jimmy Neutron intruder device. Fits on the bedroom door and makes a right racket when anyone goes in (although you can disarm it) Trouble is it is highly annoying and ours keeps going off when there isn't anyone near, frightens me to death!

Bron Wed 05-Nov-03 14:15:47

Bob the Builder Bath Bar doesnt stick to the side of the bath so is pretty useless.

Anything that makes a noise that will drive you to drink!

Metrobaby Wed 05-Nov-03 14:30:39

If you have halagon lights in your home do NOT buy the ELC farmyard animal wooden cutout peg puzzle thingy. Something about the halagon lights makes the animal noises go off randomly ALL the time - downright annoying.

zebra Wed 05-Nov-03 14:35:58

Sometimes I let the kids sleep in their day (if not dirty) clothes, all the way until after breakfast the following morning. Then I put fresh clean clothes on them so they look nice when they go out!

Sometimes at bed-time I put fresh clothes on them that they can wear the following day, and hope they won't get too mucked up at breakfast time.

Sometimes the kids argue too much and they don't get fresh clothes on for several days; as long as the clothes aren't dirty or smelly, that's ok by me.

Either way, I minimise the arguments about getting dressed/undressed/changed in the mornings that my friends are always whinging that they have with their children.

The grandparents all live far away, they rarely see the kids & have no idea what the kids are wearing to bed.

Beadgirl Wed 05-Nov-03 14:41:58

zebra
what do you wear for bed?

Angeliz Wed 05-Nov-03 14:44:55

oh metrobaby mine does that we'll be sitting watching Eastenders and all of a sudden we'll hear a cow behind the setee!!!!

codswallop Wed 05-Nov-03 14:45:17

zebra I think thats illogical! wear pjs and elongate the lives of the clothes!

does that mean they wear the same pants for dyas on end?

ThomCat Wed 05-Nov-03 15:13:40

Zebra - I don't know whether to laugh or cry!!!!!
I think I'll just laugh!!!!!!! In fact now I've started I've got tears in my eyes - that's just too mad. Sorry I don't wish to be rude - but I really do think that's the most bizarre and funny thing I've read in ages. Are you for real? Please tell me you are!! :0
BTW - how do your kids keep their clothes clean for sevral days - if you have a secret you must share it!!

codswallop Wed 05-Nov-03 15:16:14

we never have arguments over changing.. do people?

Easy Wed 05-Nov-03 15:18:06

No TC, Zebra MUST be joking, surely .......please

codswallop Wed 05-Nov-03 15:19:02

ever since i read the tights on head tip this site doesnt suprise me

ThomCat Wed 05-Nov-03 15:20:39

This is too funny to leave......

Sometimes I let the kids sleep in their day (if not dirty) clothes, all the way until after breakfast the following morning. Then I put fresh clean clothes on them so they look nice when they go out!
NOT SO BAD, I WOULDN'T BUT EACH TO HIS OWN

Sometimes at bed-time I put fresh clothes on them that they can wear the following day, and hope they won't get too mucked up at breakfast time.
WHAT!!!!! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?????

Sometimes the kids argue too much and they don't get fresh clothes on for several days; as long as the clothes aren't dirty or smelly, that's ok by me.
SEVERAL DAYS ---- BECAUSE THEY ARE ARGUING!!!!
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either way, I minimise the arguments about getting dressed/undressed/changed in the mornings that my friends are always whinging that they have with their children.

The grandparents all live far away, they rarely see the kids & have no idea what the kids are wearing to bed. WHAT HAVE THEY GOT TO DO WITH IT. THIS IS JUST TO SAVE HAVING TO PUT THEM IN PJ'S. THIS IS ONE OF THE FUNNIEST THINGS I'VE EVER READ.
ZEBRA - I'M SURE YOU ARE LOVELY BUT IN THE NICEST POSSIBLE WAY YPU ARE QUITE BARMY!!!!!

beetroot Wed 05-Nov-03 15:22:01

just cought up with this - you are kidding zebra arnt you!!

ThomCat Wed 05-Nov-03 15:22:03

Do you know what Easy in some strange way I hope she isn't. We need mad crazy people in th world. Can you imagine her kids re-telling this story about theit mad mother when they are older!
Zebra - please be for real!!!!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now