prep school bursary q

(55 Posts)
vquickques Sun 20-Jan-13 13:59:05

So, ds has been offered a place at a selective prep school. us accepting this is totally dependant on a bursary for which we have applied. My question is, how likely is it that the place would have been given if the bursary isn't going to be forthcoming?? We have had a letter saying we will hear from the bursar next week, but would they have offered a place knowing that there is no way we could afford the fees without the bursary?

BadgerB Sun 20-Jan-13 14:53:56

Hard to say. If, for instance, they have two bursaries on offer and four children need one - well, someone is going to be disappointed. On the other hand they have told you you will 'hear from the bursar' which implies the governors have decided you can have a bursary, now the bursar has to say how much. Good luck! And let us know...

Labro Sun 20-Jan-13 15:08:17

It depends. What tends to happen is that there is a closing date for applications and they are then all 'weighed up' against what the school has available and what they consider from their calculations what you can afford to pay, the bursar will then contact you with the % they can offer. The place is offered first as they don't know how many chunks the bursary pot needs to be divided into and without the place then they wouldn't need to process your application. Good luck and hope you get the % you need

vquickques Sun 20-Jan-13 15:39:19

Thanks! It would be such a shame if we had to say no after all this ! I'll be back grin
PS am a reg nc'd as am a bit nervous!!

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 20-Jan-13 15:41:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vquickques Sun 20-Jan-13 15:43:37

When the head called to offer the place, I mentioned the bursary and he did say he was aware of it so...fingers X'd

WhatKindofFool Sun 20-Jan-13 20:17:50

I made itclearthan my DS could only accept a place if he was awarded a bursary. He was offered a place but no bursary. I wasn't the only disappointed person.

vquickques Mon 21-Jan-13 13:15:18

Bugger - just had an email asking about our credit card debts. We have a few because, as I explained in the application, I was out of work for a while and to keep the house, we had to use them. we're paying them back no interest and don't have any now. Will this go against us though?? Am getting v sad that we may not get help sad

scaevola Mon 21-Jan-13 13:18:13

Hold your nerve: they're clearly still assessing you. Just tell the truth and hope for the best.

vquickques Mon 21-Jan-13 13:20:47

Thank you. have just had a good cry and thought oh well, that's that, it was a nice idea and at least he passed etc grin. It's horrible. Have been totally honest, so can't do more than that!

vquickques Mon 28-Jan-13 21:51:15

Still haven't heard sad They have to let us know by the end of the week. please reassure me!!

BadgerB Tue 29-Jan-13 06:53:37

They haven't said 'no' so you're still in the running! Do you know how many bursaries there are and how many applicants? Not that it helps really. My Dsis was in your position. When the Head rang and said they had a bursary she burst into tears on the phone, and she is definitely not a crying person generally. Credit card debts are a difficult one for a Bursar. If they were used for luxury holidays etc it's a very different scene from if they had to be used for survival during a tough time.
Keeping fingers crossed for you.

vquickques Tue 29-Jan-13 08:54:16

That's true - I would imagine they would say no straight away to give people a chance to maybe find another school?? <straw clutching> The school itself is a pretty wealthy one in a wealthy city that offers the equivilent of around 60 100% bursaries over the prep and upper each year <frantically checked the Charity commission accounts page grin > and I know they are very keen to welcome the 'poor'!! However, I am now concerned about these cc debts - they have never been used for holidays or monets wink etc, and I did explain this so hopefully they will understand that we went through a rough patch . I will also cry if we get a result! Thanks.

vquickques Mon 04-Feb-13 20:16:29

Hi again smile We got an offer of a bursary today, and without wanting to sound ungrateful, it just isn't enough - however we do the sums sad Can people appeal or negotiate does anyone know. I can't believe we put her through all that, she passed so well, we were totally honest about our (lack of) funds and now we are having to say no sad Please be gentle!

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 04-Feb-13 20:29:00

That's a shame. No advice but maybe phone and ask if there is likely to be anymore available. If she can't go anyway you have nothing to lose.

meditrina Mon 04-Feb-13 20:32:31

You can't appeal. But you can negotiate: if you can't afford to go there on current offer, you've got nothing to lose.

Do work out how much you need to hold the plan together before you start talking to the school.

vquickques Mon 04-Feb-13 20:37:44

thanks. Negotiation is the word I was looking for! We have worked out what we would need and can show them the sums (again!) I'll call tomorrow. Is it likely they would listen though? Is this something others do?

FelicityWasCold Mon 04-Feb-13 20:42:16

Yes it is. Negotiate.

You will be in a much stronger position if someone else turns their offer down though.

The key to negotiation is to manage to do it while still sounding like the sort of parent they will want to be dealing with from here on in.

Good luck!

vquickques Mon 04-Feb-13 21:13:08

Ok, so I will contact them tomorrow (have to accept the place by Friday shock ) and state that we can afford xxx so, knowing the kind of child our dc is, and how brilliantly they performed in the test and what they will bring to the school etc, would it be possible to negotiate the sum to an acceptable level? That kind of thing??

boredofironing Mon 04-Feb-13 22:06:43

Yes. We negotiated 3 times. In the end they caved in and gave us what we needed. We had to go away at one point and see if family could help out. (they could help a little) and then school came up with the rest we needed.
I hope that makes sense. I wouldn't worry about the deadline date too much if you are in discussions with them before the cut-off date.
Good luck.

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 04-Feb-13 22:14:17

You could always mention their charitable status wink

SanityClause Mon 04-Feb-13 22:24:43

I know people who have successfully negotiated bursaries.

You do realise that you are likely to have to do this every year, though?

IME, bursaries are for one year, and you have to reapply every single year. What will your position be when she has been there for a few years, and has friends, and they decide that you are eligible for a smaller bursary, this year?

FelicityWasCold Mon 04-Feb-13 22:28:16

You could always mention their charitable status

I really really wouldn't!

IME, bursaries are for one year, and you have to reapply every single year. What will your position be when she has been there for a few years, and has friends, and they decide that you are eligible for a smaller bursary, this year?

IME a good school will not kick a bursary child out due to lack of (parents) funds, unless there are exceptional circumstances (ie, your child is a full on nightmare to teach).

Many schools offer sponsored busarys that are awarded for several years/through to U6

Lollybrolly Mon 04-Feb-13 22:44:25

Bursaries are reviewed annually but are unlikely to be withdrawn or changed dramatically unless you are spending on luxuries and going on holiday.

Another words if you get a payrise - expect to put it towards next years fees after the annual review but also bare in mind the fees will increase a few % by next September.

Good luck for tomorrow. We have been through this and its nerve wracking and cringey but worth it - however it works out. If you suceed thats fab and if they fail to offer you more - you know you dgave it your best shot. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

SanityClause Mon 04-Feb-13 22:45:41

I know a woman, who is a young widow, whose DC are at two well known schools. (Schools you are likely to have heard of, particularly if you live in London.)

She has to reapply for a bursary for her DD every year. (I think her DS has a very generous scholarship, so she doesn't have to do the same at his school.)

So, do check that any bursary will be for the whole time at the school. The school may, for example, decide that once your credit card debts are paid off, you should use that money to pay school fees, and the bursary may decrease, accordingly.

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 04-Feb-13 23:03:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vquickques Tue 05-Feb-13 07:33:28

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to see what happens today grin

vquickques Tue 05-Feb-13 11:39:53

I have put our lives on the line with them and am waiting a response. Really couldn't be more honest so am waiting to hear what happens now. I understand we need to reapply annually and of course, if, somehow we managed to find the funds we would be in a position to pay more. It would just be so sad to have got this far.

BadgerB Tue 05-Feb-13 13:06:44

Fingers and toes crossed for you!

vquickques Tue 05-Feb-13 13:11:17

Thank you smile

lopsided Tue 05-Feb-13 13:57:31

Good luck,

I think it depends how far apart you are. I would be very nervous about having my finances at the mercy of the school. I would only consider it if the level of bursary was assured for the rest of my child's time there. Applying every year and or having my child's performance at school taken into consideration would put me off.

boredofironing Tue 05-Feb-13 15:51:13

Let us know.......

One bursar said to me, "oh please don't worry about the annual review, unless you win the lottery or something. It's just a formality."

Really really hoping it's good news.
If not, are there other schools you could apply to??

vquickques Tue 05-Feb-13 15:52:45

I will smile No other schools. This is the one we want!

WhatKindofFool Tue 05-Feb-13 16:08:36

I was gutted when my DS did not get a bursary. However, he loves the school he ended up going to and I am more pleased with it than I ever imagined.

I got a good thing in the end, just not what I wanted at the time.

Lollybrolly Wed 06-Feb-13 16:07:14

Any news yet??? Keeping it all crossed for you grin

vquickques Wed 06-Feb-13 20:12:24

They have said they will reassess and have extended the deadline for us...eek!

adeucalione Wed 06-Feb-13 21:34:21

Good luck OP, thanks for updating, having been checking back all day!

vquickques Wed 06-Feb-13 21:35:59

aw! I will defnitely update when I know what's happening smile

vquickques Wed 13-Feb-13 15:15:29

still no news. They will have to let us knw by Friday, as we have to accept/reject by Monday!

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 13-Feb-13 15:45:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lollybrolly Wed 13-Feb-13 15:51:22

Oh dear - bet your nerves are frazzeld with all this waiting. They may perhaps need another meeting with the governers - hence the wait.

vquickques Wed 13-Feb-13 15:57:37

I am a bit frazzled - yes grin I think I will just wait's has be to friday at the latest. Is it good it's taking this long though.... ??

vquickques Fri 15-Feb-13 18:15:55

contacted them today....still working on it. Should definitely know by Monday. I think this is good!

BadgerB Fri 15-Feb-13 19:06:34

I do hope so. Have been looking for your update a couple of times today..

vquickques Fri 15-Feb-13 19:08:41

they certainly seem keen but who knows? it's all about the money in the pot sad

Lollybrolly Sat 16-Feb-13 20:31:18

Gosh - Can't believe you are still waiting. No news is good news though.

Fingers crossed.

vquickques Mon 18-Feb-13 13:02:57

Just been informed that although they have tried, they cannot do it - not sustainable for the next four years. Disappointed. The one offered was just not enough. Still, at least we gave it a go sad

Lollybrolly Mon 18-Feb-13 14:06:46

Aww thats a real shame. I am sorry. At least you know you tried and so did they by the sound of it. They didnt just say no at the first instance. You all gave it your best shot.

I am sorry.

vquickques Mon 18-Feb-13 14:12:13

Thank you. It's a disappointment of course, but yep, we tried. The current school dc is at is is absolutely fine, it just would have just been a wonderful opportunity, and to have passed a tricky entrance test as well... sad Bugger. <stop sobbing at desk>

BadgerB Mon 18-Feb-13 14:48:51

So sorry! But you did your best, and so, it seems, did the school. No one could do more.

Jellibotti Mon 18-Feb-13 14:56:35

Does anyone have any idea what sort of upper earning threashold there is in order to qualify for a bursery? I know it'll differ, but I would imagine that even high earners would be stretched by 3 kids at 27,000 a year schools.

We couldn't do 2, yet we seem to be earning reasonably.

vquickques Mon 18-Feb-13 15:28:56

For one child they say at this school. if you are earning £65K + then you wouldn't be considered at all.

rosierosa Mon 18-Feb-13 16:18:25

Hi there, good luck with it all. I'm just thinking about primary schools now, this might sound stupid but do all private schools offer bursaries at primary school level? Trying to work some things out!

Thank you x

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 18-Feb-13 17:05:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

adeucalione Mon 18-Feb-13 18:28:17

So sorry to hear this OP, how disappointing to come so close. As others have said, you did all you could.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now