Job Interview - Playground Supervisor/Class Assistant

(9 Posts)
wildmutt Thu 01-Jul-10 14:05:08

Not sure if this is the best place to post but here goes. I have a job interview coming up as a playground supervisor/classroom assistant at a private school with hours 10 am - 1.30 pm. I've been told there were 21 applicants and they are interviewing 6 people. I want this job so much but I am not very confident as I have no previous experience of working in a school. I took a career break 5 years ago and have been at home looking after my family since then. Has anyone got any advice or interview tips that could help and also what sort of questions they may ask. Thanks

mnistooaddictive Thu 01-Jul-10 14:18:35

Think how being SAHm has given you skills such as dealing with children, sympathetic but firm etc.
Why do you want this job?

What would you do if ... child fell over, fight between 2 children that sort of thing.

How would you explain.... to a child, lots of things relevant to age group such as multiplication or full stops or whatever really

wildmutt Thu 01-Jul-10 14:32:09

Thank you mnisto, that's really helpful.

What would be a good answer to the question 'What would you do if there was a fight between 2 children?' Whilst I have personal experience (my children fight rather alot!) I'm not familiar with the Health and Safety version of what to do or not do. Obviously screaming my head off at them will not be appropriate in a school playground with other people's children grin

ptangyangkipperbang Thu 01-Jul-10 15:05:52

Most schools will have a behaviour policy so it is a matter of finding where fighting fits in to this. Also would check to make sure kids ok, administer first aid if necessary, tell class teacher, talk to the children to find out why it happened. Disperse the crowd of children that have come to find out what's going on!

mnistooaddictive Thu 01-Jul-10 15:49:12

If they ask you what would you do if.. and it is not a have to act now situation it is ok to say I would seek advice.

wildmutt Thu 01-Jul-10 15:58:12

thanks ptangyang,that sounds good - calm and in control!

Sassyfrassy Thu 01-Jul-10 17:38:38

For a fight, I'd say that you would follow the behaviour policy. Not restraining usually unless trained. Standing in between the fighting children to keep them apart and try to deescalate the situation.

wildmutt Thu 01-Jul-10 18:10:06

Sassyfrassy that is an excellent answer - Thank u. I knew there were regs with regard to restraining but wasn't sure whether this would apply if 2 children were battering each other! I will remember to say I would follow the behaviour policy as well.

Thanks again mnisto, that's a good point about seeking advice. Will remember that as well.

Worryingly, I feel I have lost the ability to string a sentence together and I'm nervous I'm going to just blab uncontrollably at this interview. Hoping they'll see the potential in me and that I do genuinely like caring for children.

bubbles9156 Tue 27-Nov-12 22:18:00

Hi there. Hope someone can help me. Interview at a special needs school and need some possible questions and answers. Been told they might ask about a child says they are being bullied, or what you would do if a child tells you no.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now