Primary leavers - is your child leaving school in a limo...

(102 Posts)
Clary Sat 12-Jun-10 00:19:13

On their last day?

I ask because a number of DS1's class are - he was offered (rather late in day) a place in someone's limo - it was £25 including pizza at Pizza Hut.

I thought it was a bit dear and when he said he wasn't bothered declined (the limo-hirer not a particular pal of DS).

Suspect many/most of the class may be going in limo (several) actually. Hope DS doesn't feel he is missing out!

Anyway, just wondered in quick straw poll if this is the norm? Obv doesn't help DS1 as he walks tragically home from school on last day but I was just interested.

FWIW I think it's a bit barmy.

Shitemum Sat 12-Jun-10 00:21:56

I think limos for children are utterly crass

Clary Sat 12-Jun-10 00:25:54

Ah good glad it's not just me.

Maybe will have any pals of DS not going in limo round to eat Dominos pizza, prob for less £££.

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sat 12-Jun-10 00:29:01

Hell no. Nasty!

I might organise a megazone though (there's only about 6 leaving as it's a very small school)

trefusis Sat 12-Jun-10 00:31:18

Message withdrawn

deaddei Sat 12-Jun-10 07:23:16

How tacky.
I will not be at the school gate waiting with bunting and cupcakes- he's walked home for the last 3 years!!!

bluejeans Sat 12-Jun-10 07:56:10

I picked DD up from school on last day of summer term a couple of years ago and was amazed by all the limos parked outside. The school bus couldn't get out! They were al going to burger king - seemed quite tacky to me!

DD finishes primary school in 2 years time and hoping we can avoid this but probably peer pressure will take over - you've done well to avoid and Dominoes pizza at home sounds much better!

I remember on my last day of primary school we all went round with autograph books.......

autodidact Sat 12-Jun-10 07:58:54

Definitely not the norm round here but suspect my children would love it.

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 12-Jun-10 08:03:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

roisin Sat 12-Jun-10 08:35:00

shock Completely barmy!

When ds1 left primary a group of parents organised a leavers' party/disco. I think this usually happens, but I've not heard any mention of it yet this year. (But I'm not about to volunteer! ds1 didn't particularly enjoy it, so I'm not that fussed if it doesn't happen.)

No limos here though afaik.

A local school does call their yr6 leaving party "a prom", with a result that parents suddenly feel obliged to spend £££ on outfits! hmm

roisin Sat 12-Jun-10 08:37:31

ds2 will certainly be walking home alone on the last day - as usual! I have (very unusually) managed to wangle time off to attend the leavers assembly in the morning, and will no doubt be an emotional wreck there.

cory Sat 12-Jun-10 09:47:20

Not around here. They all walked home as per usual. I think they did bring in T-shirts to sign, which seemed reasonable (and cheap), as they were all going their separate ways, but that was it. And a small present for the teacher.

WedgiesMum Sat 12-Jun-10 13:50:48

Well DS will be leaving school as he does every day with me and DD in the car - does that count as a limo grin? I could black out the windows and install a disco ball? I could then pick up your DS2 roisin grin

However, just to throw something totally WILD into the mix DS's school is having a PROM for all Y6's on the next to last day of term........ shock think there may be some limo arrivals there but would not let DS participate in that even if he didn't have AS!!! Although I will be helping out at the prom as I work at school.

Don't even want to think about leavers assemblies! Am bad enough at ordinary class ones, even those not involving my children. Was given a box of tissues yesterday by the Y3 class whose turn it was blush

zapostrophe Sat 12-Jun-10 16:58:11

Message withdrawn

unfitmother Sat 12-Jun-10 17:01:55

How crass! shock

MaamRuby Sat 12-Jun-10 17:13:25

DD will be going home in a VW - possibly via the park!

LadyLapsang Sat 12-Jun-10 18:00:24

Well, that would make a good link for the press report if Child Benefit becomes means tested.

tibni Sat 12-Jun-10 18:11:00

Norm in dd school - I know of 1 limo and 1 limo bus hired for the school dinner dance. dd was offered a place but has refused - she wants to go in a mini with her best mate because they are cute - so her godfather has a deadline to get his wreck of a mini on the road grin. Offers of sports cars and a jag have been turned down in favour of a mini.

Im really glad dd didn't want the limo. Its too much too soon - they are 11.

roisin Sat 12-Jun-10 19:25:09

Wedgiesmum - WHY do they call it a prom? It's a party fgs.

At C Sch. apparently the parents pay silly money for yr6 girls' frocks for their "prom".

I don't like yr11 proms as everyone goes mad on dress, hair, nails, make-up, fake tan, hired jewellery, limos etc. And they can't afford it.

Galena Sat 12-Jun-10 19:43:48

At our school the limos would be lined up on the last day (and often on birthdays too for anything from Y3 to Y6). Utterly crass. DD may only be 14mo but she's not going to be leaving in a limo! (Hmmm, wrote 'limp' there for a moment - seems fairly accurate! )

bluejeans Sat 12-Jun-10 20:01:35

Agree re proms - a colleague's DD had a prom at the end of primary school and the colleague was raving about managing to get a prom dress in TK Maxx for £40...er, that's still loads!

spudmasher Sat 12-Jun-10 20:10:50

Hell no. What a bloody load of fuss. Disco wit wotsits and vimto and maybe a bit of music to not dance to.

PixieOnaLeaf Sat 12-Jun-10 20:27:23

Message withdrawn

Feenie Sat 12-Jun-10 20:40:45

I'd like to know where this is going on - cos it definitely isn't oop north, nothing like that around here.

GoEngland Sat 12-Jun-10 20:59:37

Definitely not.
DD1 left 2 years ago and walked home with her friends.
DD2 leaves this year and she will walk home too.
They are having a year party organised by the school which is fun and games and also a similar one organised by a parent. This IMO is so much more appropriate than a limo trip or prom.
Anyway DD2 was on a school trip last week which had a disco which apparently was 'boring'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now