PE in knickers

(12 Posts)
FurryFox Wed 23-Sep-09 17:49:50

DD just started reception. Yesterday they did PE and she was very excited to tell me she only had her knickers on (she hasn't got vests on at the moment). Apparently most of them were just in knickers/pants.

Do you think this is ok? Some of the parents were a bit surprised, I don't think I'm really bothered although will be getting her a kit to change into as are a lot of the parents.

I know when I was at school we often did PE in knickers. Are things different now?

fedupofthisnausea Wed 23-Sep-09 18:00:40

Hm - i think i'd at least like her in her t-shirt/shirt/or jumper too but thats just incase she were to catch a chill (if i remember right school halls aren't that warm).

I remember having to do PE in my knicks and vest if i ever forgot my kit, it was the same with quite a few in primary school in the younger years. I am surprised as i thought there would have been crazy complaints against it - not that i would complain apart from the kiddies being chilly.

Is it a female PE teacher? ( i don't entirely know why i have asked this as i'm not usually stereotypical, but still felt the urge to ask hmm )

Elk Wed 23-Sep-09 18:02:54

My children have school uniform PE kit. They all wear shorts/tracksuits and a polo shirt/sweater.
At the start of the year they just change shoes and ties and by Christmas they change completely.

fedupofthisnausea Wed 23-Sep-09 18:03:31

I think vest and knickers may actually be easier for the teachers as there is less clothing to help some of the kiddies in and out of. Still not keen of the idea of just knickers though - more for the chil factor.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 23-Sep-09 18:05:06

Surely she should have already had a PE kit to change in to when she started school?

FurryFox Wed 23-Sep-09 18:25:00

Fab - the school website says reception and year 1 do not need a PE kit, I assumed they would just keep their uniform on like they did in the school nursery.

fedupofthisnausea - Both female tachers.

TheBalladofGayTony Wed 23-Sep-09 18:33:21

v. bizarre. what extraordinary gymnastic feats are they undertaking that they can't do with their clothes on?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 23-Sep-09 18:41:23

My son is doing PE in his uniform as he has only been in school for 2 1/2 weeks.

the only thing that would concern me would be that, for instance, my dd regressed back to wetting herself for some time. Every wee was done in her kckers, for about 4 months. it was a really traumatic time for her. I can't imagine what it would be like for a little one, who might have had an accident, wee or poo for that matter. Uncomfortable to say the least.

vinblanc Wed 23-Sep-09 18:49:48

When I was at school, we did gym in our knickers and aertex shirts, even in senior school. We would usually have pleated skirts for games, but would take the off for high jump in case they knocked off the bar.

However these pants were thick felty things, urg (the 70s).

My younger kids have PE kits - polo shirt and shorts. It is really no hassle to put the shorts on and all my DDs' classmates are able to dress themselves no problem.

I believe that in some schools, there are children who can't dress themselves so it is a real help not to have too many articles of clothing! If they aren't wearing a vest, I don't understand why they wouldn't just keep their polo shirt on. A polo shirt is designed for being active in.

FurryFox Wed 23-Sep-09 19:13:53

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to get her some shorts and a T shirt/polo shirt (sometimes she wears polo shirts for her uniform but also has blouses). She was only 4 in August but is quite good at dressing herself so I'm sure she'll be fine with getting changed (one of the other children helped her get dressed apparently anyway. I kmew she had done PE because her blouse was inside out).

I wasn't too worried about her just wearing knickers (for some odd reason she thought it was funny) but as we get into the cooler months it could be quite chilly.

scroobiuspirate - Sorry for what your daughter went through, must have been horrible for her and you.

Niecie Wed 23-Sep-09 19:24:08

We used to wear vest and knickers for PE but had navy blue knickers to pu on top of our normal ones.

It wouldn't bother me too much if mine had to do PE this way - you often see 4 or 5 yr olds running around on the beach with just knickers on - but as you say, its a bit chilly without a vest.

It is a bit daft to say no PE kit for little ones though. OK it take ages to get changed but they will learn if they practice.

We bought shorts, t-shirt, jogging top and bottoms and plimsolls last yr, for DS2's Yr R but they never did PE outside so never used the plimsols - they had welly walks instead and played on the Playdale with their uniforms on. Maybe just get shorts and a t-shirt and don't bother with the outdoor stuff just yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now