Optional Tests, year 4 Maths

(23 Posts)
minxthemanx Mon 01-Jun-09 13:24:34

Anyone know of a website from which I can download a copy of a Year 4 Maths paper? I would have thought somewhere on QCA but can't find one!

Feenie Mon 01-Jun-09 14:30:43

Why do you want one?

minxthemanx Mon 01-Jun-09 15:56:11

Doing some tutoring with a Year 3 pupil. (I've taught for 18 years but am doing supply at the mo while DS is little, so don't 'belong' to a school from which I could borrow one!)

trickerg Mon 01-Jun-09 18:27:43

Why don't you look on the primay framework for maths and just tutor to the Y4 objectives? Don't see why you need a test paper.

Feenie Mon 01-Jun-09 20:56:44

It's not there for that very reason! Her Y4 teacher next year will probably wish to use it to support her end of Y4 teacher assessment - it wouldn't be reliable evidence if anyone else could go through it beforehand with a child.

trickerg Mon 01-Jun-09 21:20:47

Yes, it's very annoying when a child suddenly pipes up 'I've done this before' in the middle of a test that you're using for an end of yeear assessment! Sounds like you and me bin there before, feenie! lol

tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 01-Jun-09 21:26:18
tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 01-Jun-09 21:27:21

Feenie - they are all there, many schools use last years anyway. The whole thing is mad hence APP!

trickerg Mon 01-Jun-09 21:31:11

I think the point feenie is trying to make is 'why do them out of school, if they're going to do them in school for assessment purposes'?

As for APP - we reckon the writing criteria were written by someone with a bad hangover and couldn't quite think straight!!!

Feenie Mon 01-Jun-09 21:34:29

I give up hmm

tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 01-Jun-09 21:51:03

What don't you like trickerg?

trickerg Mon 01-Jun-09 23:06:32

Don't like the way some of the criteria are positive and some are negative - therefore difficult to highlight to see best fit. like in the L3 criteria there is something about writing complex sentences, which you can highlight if achieved, closely followed by a statement about comma splicing - that you don't want to highlight. I'm not explaining that very well...!! D'you know what I mean?

minxthemanx Tue 02-Jun-09 07:42:14

Oh dear, didn't mean to start a heated debate re APP! Thanks for your help, mary poppins. Trickerg, I am using the primary framework, - just thought having a look at an old Optional Tests paper would be useful to assess areas of strength/weakness with a new student, so i can plan tightly to what she needs. Am certainly not trying to 'prepare' anyone for the Single Level Tests etc, just wanted an old Year 4 Sats type paper for diagnostic purposes. Like I said on OP, I've been teaching 18 years - I'm one of you! sad that assumption was I'm trying to pre-empt what teacher is doing. Normally I would scrounge an old paper from Maths Coordinator at school, but am not sufficiently attached to one school to be cheeky. Thanks for your help.

Feenie Tue 02-Jun-09 09:32:21

I think if you had said you needed an old one, I may have been less snippy! Sorry wink. Also, maybe TES would have been a better place to ask, rather than a parenting forum? Good luck with your tutoring.

minxthemanx Tue 02-Jun-09 11:22:11

Didn't think about TES, tbh Mumsnet is so brilliant at coming up with answers to things, I tend to ask here first. Can't think what I ever did without it, either for letting off steam, or finding info!

The tutoring is part of a projest called Making Good Progress - don't know if your area is involved, but we've been part of the pilot for the last 2 years. Identified children are given 10 weeks of 1 to 1 tuition, whether to boost confidence/reinforce class teaching, or stretch G and T. It's fantastic.wink

Feenie Tue 02-Jun-09 13:25:11

Yes, as a matter of fact I've just finished my 10 weeks of tutoring in Literacy for a Y6 child at our school - agree, it's fab.

trickerg Tue 02-Jun-09 18:20:02

I'm sorry too!

But I'd still like to know what people think of APP!!!

trickerg Tue 02-Jun-09 18:20:05

I'm sorry too!

But I'd still like to know what people think of APP!!!

tryingtobemarypoppins Tue 02-Jun-09 19:17:46

I quite like it! I think as long as everyone keeps at the front of their mind that it is continuous assessment it will be fine. I don't love the example writing pieces they selected but there you go! At the end of the day writing is so subjective, what you see as a good level 3a someone else will say its a 3c.......I can't see that changing!

Feenie Tue 02-Jun-09 19:44:01

That's why I appeal about 20% of our writing results every year, and I am always vindicated!

As for APP, it's a very useful tool for NQTs, and I find it useful to refer to every now and again. I like the Maths, though. I can see it rapidly becoming a stick to beat teachers with, since some LEAs are already insisting it is used for each individual pupil, instead of for groups.

trickerg Tue 02-Jun-09 22:11:08

We were told to use it for Y2 assessment by the LEA for individual children to bring to the mentoring meeting. Found it VERY woolly!

kennythekangaroo Tue 02-Jun-09 23:07:09

tryingtobemarypoppins your link is the older optional paper. The one my class used this year is labelled 2006.

tryingtobemarypoppins Wed 03-Jun-09 18:30:44

Do you want the link for 2006 kennythekangaroo???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now