Waiting list help! Twickenham!

(18 Posts)
breezy1972 Sun 05-Apr-09 14:47:13

Hi All

We didn't get a first choice reception place but are currently on the waiting list. Its a very popular church school in twickenham and we are 3rd on the list. The reception is 90 places.

I was wondering what were people's experiences of waiting lists and if they got in or not?

Thanks

ramonaquimby Sun 05-Apr-09 15:18:29

3rd on this list - you'll get in. we were on waiting list also for RuT school and were 18th - dd got a place on first day of term.

mummypig Sun 05-Apr-09 15:39:11

Third on the list is fine.

And even if you don't get offered a place by Sep, hang in on there. You don't have to provide your child with an education until the term after their fifth birthday so you are perfectly within your rights to keep them at home until a place comes up. Once term starts you will move up the waiting list really quickly. In my experience loads of people take the school offered and then don't bother moving in the middle of the academic year, even if a place comes up for their first choice school.

Fyi, ds1 (Yr2) and ds2 (Reception) both just changed schools (at the start of the Spring term) and it was surprisingly easy.

melissa75 Sun 05-Apr-09 17:55:49

Its not St Marys by any chance is it?

breezy1972 Sun 05-Apr-09 18:32:42

no st james's.

amidaiwish Sun 05-Apr-09 18:39:27

there's a lot of movement on the list over the next 6 months.
my dd is in reception this year and this time last year many people from her nursery didn't have a place anywhere or had been allocated a school they had rejected. all but one ended up getting into the school they wanted, this was mostly for Trafalgar btw. but shows the other children had shuffled up the list at other schools.

have you asked the admissions person how many last year from the waiting list got in before the start of term?

breezy1972 Sun 05-Apr-09 20:15:27

spoke to someone last year and they were a bit vague! they said poss 5 or 6 but you never know...

the cachement area was about 800 metres this year!

amidaiwish Sun 05-Apr-09 22:06:54

are you twickenham/hampton or st margaret's parish?

one thing worth knowing that even if you don't get in for sept, stay on the list because people do leave - i think 3 have already left in reception this year.

breezy1972 Mon 06-Apr-09 07:47:45

We live in Teddington so it all goes to distance rather than the quota of 15 for st margarets and hampton.

Plan is to stay on and see what happens. Prepared to switch before they go full-time as we live so close and can walk....better than driving every day!

amidaiwish Mon 06-Apr-09 07:52:42

what school have you been allocated? they're all pretty good you know.

breezy1972 Mon 06-Apr-09 13:53:07

sacred heart, which we are happy with. The only prob is having to drive every day and i will have a 5 month old in tow by then . Plus childcare will be trickier!

Elibean Mon 06-Apr-09 14:38:08

We are in Barnes, and dd's school's cut-off was 300+ metres this year shock, whereas last year they were thought to be undersubscribed and used as the 'overflow' for the borough. Shows how fast things can change, and what a difference sibling numbers make.

Third on the list sounds pretty good, everyone I know who was that high on waiting lists for our local schools got in before term started. Good luck, hope she gets a place soon! smile

breezy1972 Tue 07-Apr-09 21:07:04

Thanks very much for all the advice. Will let you know how we get on!

westendgirl Fri 10-Apr-09 15:30:55

3rd? No problem! I know someone who got into a LBRUT school (double form entry) from 32 on waiting list - end of Reception year.

Kitsilano Sun 12-Apr-09 20:22:12

Elibean - we are in Barnes too and DD hasn't been allocated any place at all. Our nearest school cut off distance was 320m (assume it's the same one). So we wait...

We were first on the waiting list for dd's secondary place and got in 8 days after places were allocated so I would say at third you should be fine by September!

fridayschild Mon 13-Apr-09 21:01:25

2 years ago DS1 was 8th on the waiting list for Barnes Primary, and would have got in but we moved before he got a place. The school was so sure they would see him there was a seat all set out for him on the first day, and they rang me to find out where he was... The school is double form entry. I think 3rd place is fine.

How do you guys know the catchment areas? DS2 has obviously got in as a sibling, but the letter and website just said he had a place.

Teddy77 Tue 30-Apr-13 13:53:04

Hi All

We are no. 12 on the St James Catholic school (Twickenham) reception Sept 2013 waiting list. I know it is a very popular church school.

I was wondering what were people's experiences of waiting lists (ideally for St James) and if they got in or not?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now