Biff, Chip and co, Oxford Reading Tree stage 3 books for Year 1?

(41 Posts)
philmassive Thu 29-Jan-09 11:27:47

I am a bit clueless so excuse me if this has been asked 100 times before!

My DS is in year 1 and he is reading the Oxford Reading Tree books, which he really enjoys. He is now on to stage 3 books and is on the second set of 'more stories', he is an end of March baby so middle aged in his year.

He enjoys reading and reads these well but I was wondering if that is the usual standard at his age? Other posts on here seem to suggest that he is miles behind other children of his age but it seems that he is within the norm for his class.

Any thoughts appreciated - is there a standard age guide available for these books?

I know it doesn't matter really as he is loving the books and enjoying the reading but I have been surprised that other people's DC's on other threads I have read seem to be many stages ahead on the same scheme at this age. Or are they all genuises?! grin

cory Thu 29-Jan-09 11:38:36

Sorry, but there really can be no one standard for what is normal for 6-year-olds: they all develop at such different rates. As long as he is enjoying them and able to cope, it absolutely does not matter what the other children are doing. Ds was not at all able to read at this age. Now he is.

LoveMyLapTop Thu 29-Jan-09 11:40:33

DS2 is the same age and is on stage 1+.
I know he is a bit behind but not a major problem, I am sure he will catch up!

Reallytired Thu 29-Jan-09 11:44:11

I think that a lot of mumsnetters lie about their children's ablities. Also its not fair to compare a child with a summer birthday with a child with a winter birthday.

No one goes online to show off that their child is still on stage 1 in year 1. There are different parts to reading.

My son learnt to decode quite quickly, but has spent longer on the later stages of ORT because of learning comprehension than some children who spent longer on the earlier stages.

age guide for ORT

So your ds is 5 and 9 months? He is about right according to this!

maretta Thu 29-Jan-09 11:52:00

Never ever use Mumsnet to find out how well your child reads.
People only post if their child is a super genius or if they know their child is a bit behind.
Sounds like your ds is doing fine to me.

TamTam29 Thu 29-Jan-09 12:09:07

as a teacher that has spent mnay years in Year 1, 2 and Reception, i agree with what Cory has said.

I would also like to add that the best way to develop your child's reading skills is to read a variety of books. It is also just as beneficial for you & your partner to read to your child as it is for them to read to you. Parents often seem to think that racing through a reading scheme to the next level means that their child will be reading shakspeare by Year 4 when in reality it can actually have a negative effect!

I also think that sticking to one type of text may limit the development of your child's reading skills - all reading schemes have strenghs & weaknesses.

The teaching of reading has been under much debate in recent years, and the ORT scheme dates back to when it was the trend to teach reading by learning common words by sight. It seems as though this is your sons strengh. The trend is now more reliant on using phonics to sound out the unknown words. However, the most fluent readers use a wide range of strategies.

At my school we would love to be able to send home a variety of texts but are only able to send home ORT.(I think this is common in most schools) So in class we use a variety of texts. We have a selection of real books and other reading schemes we use but when it is free choice quiet reading it is surprising how many children prefer to chose a ORT!

My advice is to not worry about getting through any reading scheme, book by book, level by level but branch out - join the local library, share rhyming stories (helps with recognising spelling patterens eg if they can read hat, they can read mat, cat etc) share a variety of types of story, read together so that if it is too hard you can lead the reading and your child doesnt lose confidence. Also sometimes it is great for your child to read a really easy text - it wont delay their reading but gives confidence and allows them to develop fluency and expression.

Hope that helps

TamTam

Madsometimes Thu 29-Jan-09 12:18:04

dd1 was on stage 3 of Ginn at the end of year1/beginning of year 2 and was on free reading by the middle of year 2.

The speed that children progress through the reading schemes has much to do with the style of teaching (ie. does the teacher want the child to be comfortable or be stretched to their very limit).

I was watching a reception child from another school reading a stage 2 book the other day. The child seemed to be really struggling and was wriggling and fussing because she was not enjoying reading. At our school, she would not have been moved up from stage 1, but her school obviously had a different policy. I suppose it is a balancing act between building up confidence and preventing children from coasting and being bored.

throckenholt Thu 29-Jan-09 12:26:38

he sounds much further ahead than my DS1 at that stage (who is now in year 3 and free reading and really loving books). He really didn't get the idea of reading until about halfway through year 2.

My DS2 & 3 are just 6 - also year 1 - one is on stage 3 and one is the one above it (presumably stage 4).

I sound vague because ours do lots of different ones - not just ORT - and they are colour coded. I just found a title I recognised in the stage 3 lists (the Barbeque) - that is coded blue in our school, and the next stage up is green.

So - if I were you I would be perfectly happy with where he is now.

Katiestar Thu 29-Jan-09 13:28:35

Also I have noticed that some teachers seem to move children through at a faster rate than others.

Katiestar Thu 29-Jan-09 13:30:39

Sorry meant to say:-
Some teachers seem to push the children through the stages faster than other teachers,so you can't really compare how he is doing with children in a nother class just by what level he is on.

philmassive Thu 29-Jan-09 14:39:37

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Sounds like he's just doing fine, which is good and reassuring, nothing out of the ordinary there!

We do read to him and go to the library too, but I suppose that I am a bit of a worrier on the reading front. My main aim for ds in school is that he has friends, is happy and comes out enjoying to read and that seems to me to be enough to allow him to be able to be do anything else that he chooses for himself. Hence I need to make sure he's OK with his reading as I beleive that if you can read you can do anything later on. Simplistic description of my over all view!

Thanks too, Tam tam, interesting to see a teacher's viewpoint.

hellywobs Fri 30-Jan-09 17:05:06

Different schools seem to work at different speeds - my son's school took things very slowly in YR and it varied even between classes but since he went into Y1 he's shot up from stage 3 to stage 9, though he also reads books in stages 6 to 8 - some of the books are more difficult within a stage. I also seem to remember that there were thousands of books at stage 3 so it might well be he could read stage 4 or 5 books easily but the teacher hasn't moved him up - you could find one in a bookshop and see how he does with it. My son's school tends to concentrate on the ORT books but he's had other books as well and spends many hours reading all the football news on the BBC website so he gets a variety, which as someone else said, is imporant.

The most important thing is that your son likes reading. Nobody will care what ORT stage he was on in Y1 when he is 19 and at university!

piscesmoon Fri 30-Jan-09 19:31:19

I agree with hellywobs-as the mother of teenagers, no one cares in the least which stage they were on in Yr 1! Never ask on mumsnet-people seem to have a fixation on ORT as if it was the only reading scheme! Join the library.

ABetaDad Wed 04-Feb-09 18:13:17

My DS1 finished ORT Stage 8 by the end of Yr 1 but my DS2 really hated reading and was only at stage 5.

One little girl was on stage 12 in Yr 1 - but then this was a suicidally competitive school.

Do not worry about it. My DS2 is a good reader now. All he needed was books he was really interested in.

Amey Wed 04-Feb-09 18:38:14

Countess - great link. Will paste into all future ORT discussions (unless you get there first). Thanks, Amey

My dd's in Y1 but they don't read much ORT. They used to do some in guided reading in YR but they never brought them home. She's read from a huge range of different schemes and the levels she brought home always seemed to vary. But it's worked because she's a great reader now.

Her friend is at a different school and they only get ORT reading books. She's a whizz at reading ORT but is totally lost if you give her quite a simple book to read that isn't ORT!

broady69 Wed 02-Feb-11 11:59:08

My daughter is in year 1 (6 last sept) and reading robins/magpies stage 9? Is this right for her age she is well above in her class - He lass is mixed with year 2 and current ofsted is unsatisfactory - Thinking of moving her if doesnt improve as in special measures and not iproved in last six months - If talented then may need to move quicker?

PatriciaHolm Wed 02-Feb-11 12:08:50

Broady - your DD is doing well, but unless there is a lot more to it, Stage 9 would not suggest talented, merely that she is getting on perhaps a little faster than average. We have 3 children in DD's Yr class who have finished level 12!

You may have other issues with the school of course, but your DD would appear to be doing just fine.

broady69 Wed 02-Feb-11 12:12:50

Maybe its the yr 2 children in her class that are below average then - Think its white books she is reading and it says that this is key stage 2 if i am correct.

gabid Wed 02-Feb-11 12:33:43

There seems to be an obsession with reading levels amongst MNers and I have fallen into the trap - but looking at the bigger picture does it matter? They will read in time, whether they are on Stage whatever now, and some don't read at all.

My DS (Y1) does Rigby Star at school but used to love ORT Read at Home. We got to Stage 3 but he seemed to have lost interest, he says its all too hard. At school he seems to read well at that level but has not progressed in his reading for since about October.

PatriciaHolm Wed 02-Feb-11 12:34:13

Hm - White is stage 10 in the normal ORT stages, which again would be good but not suggest any outstanding talent. There will be some Yr2 kids not on this yet, but it doesn't indicate much about their overall abilities. TBH at this stage, there will be a real mix of reading abilities, and in a couple of years most of the class will even out and all be reading just fine.

witchwithallthetrimmings Wed 02-Feb-11 12:46:37

I've been helping with reading at ds yr 1 class and the thing that struck me was the huge huge range. Leaving aside the obvious G&Ts and those needing extra help, we go from ORT stage 2 to ORT stage 9. Thats a gap of 2 years difference in reading age according to the ORT site. Thus the answer is not to worry about it. It must be like walking or talking. Most get it and you cannot tell the late walkers from the early ones by the time they are three

chattysue Wed 02-Feb-11 13:29:41

CountessDracula - thank you so much for your brilliant link, my husband and I were very interested in it.
My son was reading in Foundation and at point 8 on the Early Years 1-9 scale. He began Year 1 in September on Flashcards and has VERY slowly moved through reading ALL of the books in stage 1 and 2. He reads stage 4 and 5 at home.
We have spoken to the teacher who is unmoved by our request to move him onto Stage 3.
He now complains that his school books are boring - he reads them because he has to and then we move onto something more apt.

gabid Wed 02-Feb-11 13:30:58

I know 2 Y1 children, both from very academic parents, one has extra help and works on blending letters, the other is an independent reader and is having a go at reading Harry Potter - but I am sure in a couple of years they will both do well.

TheClaw Wed 02-Feb-11 20:48:45

My twin's are in Y1 and are very different.

One is on Level 3 (although I noticed today that it is now a dark blue sticker so was wondering if the school had regraded these books). She is still at the stage of decoding lots of words, knowing a few from sight and guessing lots of others from the pictures.

Her twin is on Level 6 Orange and is a fab reader, finds it all really easy and can pick up any book at home and have a good go. I think the school move fairly slowly through the stages and I'm sure she could read much higher levels.

So I hope from this you can see children do develop at different stages. I have done the same things with my twins but one has taken to reading easily and the other is plodding along at her own pace.

Hope this helps!

MigratingCoconuts Wed 02-Feb-11 21:01:25

I have given up worrying about mners who claim that their dc is free reading Faust in reception!!

My dd is in yr1..on level 3 and just moved to level 4. The jump knocked her confidence and so we moved her back to 3.
I just want her to feel happy and confident with her reading.

ninani Wed 02-Feb-11 21:51:00

There must be lots of differences at the way different schools grade reading. TheClaw you are saying that your DD is decoding words at level 3 (which the books themselves ask at the back how the child managed to do it) and is guessing from the pictures. Our son is on level 4 (not much difference) and he can instantly read 99% of the words and never tries to guess from the pictures (he still looks at them because they are nice!). He tries to read everything at home. His teacher is not moving him up because ..of his comprehension although he perfectly understands but I don't mind really. He sounds much more like you other DC which shows that levels depend on different teachers and/or schools policies.

MigratingCoconuts Thu 03-Feb-11 17:27:54

Ninani, that's interesting because dd uses the pictures toas a huge clue and has excellent comprehension. She is far more interested in talking about the pictures than reading the sentence on the page.
The jump from 3 to 4 has made this clue use far more difficult, which is why her confidence was shaken, I think.

Brilliant how they are all diferent!

JemimaMop Thu 03-Feb-11 19:56:09

At 5 yrs 10 months DS1 was on Level 1 ORT and DS2 was on Level 9 (I think). DS1 sped up in Year 2 and DS2 slowed down. As long as they are progressing then it really doesn't matter, they will all be able to read eventually.

matchbox2020 Thu 19-May-11 20:27:49

my son is 6 years old and is in year 1. He is currently reading stage 9 books which he is reading with ease. i want him to try and start reading something that will challenge him further and wanted to know what others in this situation have done? I have thought about maybe reading a harry potter book with him as he enjoys the films just a couple of pages a night to start, what does everyone think?

vivi12 Thu 19-May-11 22:24:34

For me it's just really frustrating when they send home a book with 5 words per page in, which my dc is frankly bored by, for many many months, often not changing the book from one week to the next. This is for a heavily oversubscribed oustanding rated Ofsted school. We have just started reading things ourselves. She is happily reading children's paperbacks now, but we fill in the book report every other week, saying she clearly understood about how floppy caught a ball. It just makes you want to scream really.

GemNix Thu 16-Jun-11 23:55:37

I wonder if anyone can help? My 7 year old son is in Year 2 and is only on Stage 2 reading (ORT). He just has never been able to get the hang of reading, however, recently, the 'penny seems to have dropped' so to speak and he really is getting the jist of it. He is now very enthusiastic about reading, but only has his book changed every week. Is there any way I can support his learning and speed the process up now that he is enjoying it, without buying every pack in the series to do at home. I worry about him going into Y3 and still only being on Stage 2 or 3? Thanks to anyone who has any suggestions.

vintageteacups Fri 17-Jun-11 00:20:53

I had no idea what the different levels were. Ds' reading is really coming on and is on stage 5 green (I only know that as I've just looked at the link) but their school also has many different schemes and non-scheme books and I don't care what level he's on as long as he's comprehending the stories and increasing his vocab over time.

We read to the kids and they love books (phew) and DS especially likes comics, animal fact books and science books so there's a good variety in what he chooses to read/have read to him.

MadMel41 Thu 13-Nov-14 21:01:04

I would never compare my son to others as they are all different, they all develop at different rates and each child is unique in their own way.
My son will be 6 on 18 November and he is reading stage 6 in the Biff and Chip books, whether he is an average reader or brains of britain I don't mind, I am still proud of him.

louisejxxx Thu 13-Nov-14 21:57:51

Zombie thread. Love it when this happens and it looks obvious that the person who reigniting the thread must have been purposefully searching for this to post their child's level grin

louisejxxx Thu 13-Nov-14 21:58:07

*reignited

Hooliesmoolies Thu 13-Nov-14 22:04:26

Maybe true louise, and levels are all different, and really what does it matter, but I like the fact that MadMel wanted to post that she was proud of her DS. We really should have a 'I'm proud and I don't care' thread. I love the summer report ones, where people can share their DC's non-academic related achievements. We should start one where people can share their proud feelings, but with levels being strictly disallowed. Proud not relative to others, but just relative to themselves smile.

HamishBamish Fri 14-Nov-14 16:42:14

DS1 is in P2 (in Scotland, so he's 6) and is on Stage 6. However, he reads Secret Seven books at home, which I think would correspond to a higher level.

It's about a lot more than just reading the words though. Comprehension and expression whilst reading. Also, some schools make the children go through every stage religiously, which although it can be frustrating it does make sure they assess them thoroughly and don't push them too fast.

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest or overthink it. Your DS sounds to be right on track and you can always do some extra (and more interesting!) reading at home.

HamishBamish Fri 14-Nov-14 16:44:30

Proud not relative to others, but just relative to themselves

This is key imo. They aren't in competition with others in the class. Of course you would want to know if the teacher was concerned about anything, but the differences are huge in the first few years of school.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Fri 14-Nov-14 20:04:14

As the original post was made nearly 6 years ago the Op's son is presumably now in his first term of secondary school!

Crazy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now