How DO you sew name tags into socks?

(40 Posts)

without leaving your child with horrid scratchy feet?

Clever responses that don't involve name tags will be frowned on , as PFB collection of lovely name tags await me smile

LIZS Fri 01-Aug-08 19:43:17

fold in half and oversew to inside of cuff to form a loop !

CarGirl Fri 01-Aug-08 19:43:58

on the bottom of the sole (outside)

Form into a loop and sew into the cuff

flack Fri 01-Aug-08 19:45:10

You're nuts, do not sew. Buy a ten pack from Primark of identical school socks, will probably cost you the same as the name labels!

frogs Fri 01-Aug-08 19:45:38

Or (my new discovery), get these. Very good.

But I've only got them for purely selfish reasons, as have three children + 1 dh all needing dark-coloured socks, and my will to live was ebbing away when confronted by a laundry basket full of the blinking things to sort.

SorenLorensen Fri 01-Aug-08 19:46:13

You don't. You train your children to put their socks in their shoes when they take them off. I am a dedicated labeller but even I draw the line at socks - and two kids, 9 years at school combined, we've only lost one pair (ds1 came home with someone else's).

LOL, flack - that was ds's suggestion - he reckoned I'd loose maybe a pair a week = worth it for the lack of bother!

I have actually used those transfers in the past, frogs - found they washed off (but that may well be due to my erratic laundry habits/crap iron-on skills grin

frogs Fri 01-Aug-08 19:49:33

fp:

<<hands over ears>>

lalala, I'm not listening.

How could you burst my bubble? wink

hercules1 Fri 01-Aug-08 19:49:36

I started to sew with ds then after one pair decided I'd rather spend the money to replace them than sew anymore.

CarGirl Fri 01-Aug-08 19:53:10

I agree with getting lots of matching pairs because as well as them sometimes going astray at school they also go astray in the washing machine, on the line, whilst being put away, at friends houses etc etc etc

I wouldn't bother naming socks - or just use fabric pen it will take several months to wash off.

flack Fri 01-Aug-08 19:53:21

I have never sewn names in socks, I have never lost a pair (not a SINGLE pair). DC have 6 years combined schooling, so far.

LIZS Fri 01-Aug-08 19:56:00

I sewed labels into the first batch of socks for each !!

Califrau Fri 01-Aug-08 19:56:02

DH still has a pair of grey knee length socks with name tags on

SorenLorensen Fri 01-Aug-08 20:00:57

LIZS, I did for ds1 in reception - never since - life's too short grin

juuule Fri 01-Aug-08 20:01:24

Some people sew name tags into socks!!shock

SorenLorensen Fri 01-Aug-08 20:02:30

Oh and to get round sock muddles - they both have grey socks for primary school - I sew a tiny red dot into ds2's (won't have to now though as ds1 has to have black socks at secondary).

LIZS Fri 01-Aug-08 20:05:11

Just had to replace their school socks after 3 years and won't be doing so again ! Actually had a message home last year demanding that I label dd's sports socks - they were a cheapy 3pk fgs !

Well, 5 socks in and I may have lost my will to sew in name tapes smile I'm going with the loop technique, but I can see that the fabric pen is going to be out by term 2.
Feel I am coming through a PFB rite de passage...

ThingOne Fri 01-Aug-08 22:52:29

Grandma sewed name tapes on inside near cuff. I wasn't planning to do it myself wink.

GrinningGorilla Fri 01-Aug-08 22:54:01

My son's school insists he has name tags in socks and underpants. They have to be sewn in because the iron on ones are crap and don't stick. I've sewn them on the inside of the sock cuff. They have been washed and worn a few times as a trial run and seem to be o.k

i did briefly shock sew names into socks, only because the two dd's got their socks mixed up!
didnt last

roisin Sat 02-Aug-08 10:34:41

I got the iron on transfers for socks, and it was great for laundry sorting. But since we got the tumble drier I found the letters do tend to come off much quicker.

Same applies to iron-on labels I find. So I will have to sew on labels to all his new uniform this year.

This summer I am binning all school socks and starting again. DS1 will have black and ds2 will have grey: problem solved!

JLo2 Sat 02-Aug-08 13:26:38

I've got the Cash's iron on labels and have never had any problem with them falling off or losing letters. They survive the tumble dryer and a lot of rough treatment.
My friends take the mick about their socks being named but, I have 3 DS's who all have grey socks (not allowed black) and laundry sorting would be a complete an utter nightmare without the tags.
However when I only had one child at school I never bothered naming them and they very rarely lost them.

bluefox Sat 02-Aug-08 13:39:32

Lol at sewing name tags into socks!!!!!!

seeker Sat 02-Aug-08 17:35:02

I stretched the tops of dd's first school socks round a jam jar then sewed the name tapes under the turn ups.

Well I did once. After that I bought more socks as and when necessary.

Lapsedrunner Sat 02-Aug-08 17:43:01

Vertically inside cuff

whitewine Wed 06-Aug-08 20:56:55

I have 2 DD and 1 DS (60 sox! fall and summer are different)... I take an old flat light bulb and put it in the toe, then sew the name labels across the toe. Thankfully, I only have a few replacements to do this year. grin

Orinoco Wed 06-Aug-08 22:00:57

Message withdrawn

DoubleBluff Wed 06-Aug-08 22:07:45

sewing?
socks?
Sorry I don't understand you.

roquefort Sun 10-Aug-08 21:31:10

The transfer ones if you must! Why on earth would one tumbledry socks????

Weegiemum Argentina Tue 12-Aug-08 14:46:01

I am very glad to hear I am not the only one who went shock at the idea of this.

Q: how do you sew name labels into socks?
A: You don't!

Reginaphilangy Tue 12-Aug-08 14:47:27

People do this?????

TheFifthApe Tue 12-Aug-08 14:50:30

you buy cheap ones and shrug if they get lost

whenever my two have the same style, I write their initial in the top so I can pair them after washing

but I try to get different patterns to avoid this tedium tbh

Reginaphilangy Tue 12-Aug-08 14:55:19

M&S have sizes in their school socks to stop them from getting mixed up when pairing after washing. Great idea!

TsarChasm Tue 12-Aug-08 14:59:53

I don't. I nail labels to nearly everything, but it's easy come easy go with socks for us.

Also agree, buy lots the same and you'll always manage to find a pair.

Keeping them lovely and white is another lost battle as well. <Waves (less than white) flag on that one too.>

Frogs have faith - the ink transfer things worked perfectly on DS's sports socks and have withstood the washing, soaking, boil washing, etc needed to get small boys' white socks white again.

His 'proper' school socks cost a fortune (school shop only angry) and will withstand any attempt to iron anything on to them so I have gone with the clip-in labels under the cuffs (unfortunate when DS pulls them over his knees as they then show, but still...)

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Wed 13-Aug-08 18:59:46

The fifth ape (love the name!) - agree - ASDA have incredibly cheap plain blacksocks - somehting like 5 for £1. And they are trained to put them in their shoes if they take them off @ school, and in their own laundry box ' home. No issues pairing as they are all identical, and 'weekend' socks with characters are easy (for them!) to pair up.

Fizzylemonade Thu 14-Aug-08 21:08:05

Yes agree with stealthsquiggle, have faith Frogs, my son has had his one year, on M&S black socks and we have NEVER (stamps foot) had them come off or peel and I tumble dry them.

We also got them from easy2name.

4happyhours Fri 30-Aug-13 14:12:29

Just preparing to pack DS's case for boarding school, so everything has to be named as it goes through school laundry. Tedium galore. I've spent years naming his socks (he's year 8 as of next week, 12yo) but I've given up on DD's and will replace of she loses; she's in such a small class that things rarely go awry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now