Is 5 to young for the violin

(32 Posts)
ChazsBarmyArmy Sat 28-Jun-08 16:07:58

My DS (reception) has come home with a form for musical instrument teaching in Yr1. DS is a late Aug birthday so will only just be 5 when Yr1 starts. He says he wants to learn the violin but I am wondering if I should push him to start on something (I assume is) easier like the recorder. I play the flute and recorder but I don't want to push my preferences on to him.
So has anyone any experience of 5yr olds learning the violin? Is it manageable and will he be able to get a tune out of it fairly quickly or throw it across the room in frustration or get a bit fed up?
The form has to go in on Monday so any views would be much appreciated.

nevergoogle Wed 13-Feb-13 21:58:15

DH will be sitting in on the individual lessons at the request of the teacher. She says individual is best to get him to the point where he can join the group. She also said it would be without the bow for the first few weeks.
I guess we'll try it and see, as he has asked and he really rarely asks for things. His older brother gets a lot of time and attention to his hobbies so we want him to know we'll support him if he wants to do stuff too.

noramum Thu 14-Feb-13 06:31:33

My DD has single lessons, her teacher wouldn't even consider two young ones at the same time.

squareheadcut Thu 14-Feb-13 17:28:44

my son is doing violin at 5 years old and loving it

thesecretmusicteacher Thu 14-Feb-13 17:56:10

well try it.... but perhaps be very willing to accept it if it doesn't work?

buy some really nice strings for the violin - violin strings are cheap.
Make sure it visits a violin technician - it's hard enough to learn on a violin that's properly set up, let alone one that isn't.

Trixieblue Fri 15-Feb-13 11:13:13

I don't think you can be too young to learn anything, if they're showing interest let them have a go. If it doesn't stick then move onto the next. Life's about learning and trying new things. I encourage my boy to try everything. You never know, this just might just be his niche smile xxx

AbbyR1973 Fri 15-Feb-13 16:00:00

DS1 age 5 in reception had expressed an interest in learning the violin so I asked the school. The peripatetic teacher said she was happy to have him but since he is the only one of his age learning he is having individual lessons. He has had 3 lessons and now problems so far. They haven't had the bow out yet or any music to read he has had a CD to play along to and now knows the 4 string notes and some very very simple plucked tunes. He has been quite enthusiastic about practise which did surprise me a bit but we will see how long that lasts. Looking ahead on the CD I am guessing the bow will come out in the next couple of lessons (cue strangled cat noises for the next few years.)
I do not know anything about the violin but I am a reasonable pianist so I think that helps- although he is FAR too independent to let me advise him!! I had a couple of attempts at teaching him piano but it didn't work out: "I already know how to play the piano Mummy!"

Schmedz Fri 15-Feb-13 19:07:10

Very usual to start with pizzicato and open strings and then move on. To bowing and eventually fingers on fingerboard! Sounds like he is doing well if he is practising!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now