Spelling tests

(9 Posts)
Upsetmom Sun 20-Nov-16 17:47:35

If children are told spelling tests will be on a Tuesday should they be on a Tuesday? Often they aren't and I just wonder if this shows issues with lesson planning.

irvineoneohone Sun 20-Nov-16 18:39:02

I don't see the problem. If the child knows the spelling, they should be able to spell anytime. It will only be the problem if the child crams the spelling for the day, and forgets it afterwards.

sirfredfredgeorge Sun 20-Nov-16 19:02:13

"Spelling tests are on a Tuesday, they are always on a Tuesday, you will be tested on spelling on a Tuesday, you will not be tested on any other day than a Tuesday."

vs

"We'll usually have spelling tests on a Tuesday."
or
"Rough week plan is Monday - tiddlywinks, Tuesday - spelling, Wednesday - unarmed combat, Friday - Poetry Slam..."

The first, it's poor to not do a spelling test on a Tuesday, the second ones, fine.

spanieleyes Sun 20-Nov-16 20:15:37

Normally on a Tuesday, except when
1) Head decides Tuesday morning everyone is going to spend an hour singing xmas carols in preparation for a concert next week,
2) PPA cover swaps days because she has a medical appointment
3) Visiting artist can only come in Tuesday mornings from 10-11
4) children simply didn't "get" yesterdays lesson and I have to re do it again today in a different way
5) or a 1001 other things crop up that can't be forseen.

Spelling tests aren't top of anyone's list of priorities I'm afraid!!

Coconut0il Sun 20-Nov-16 22:22:17

So many things change on a week to week basis that sometimes things like spelling tests are moved. Agree with a pp poster that the aim is for the children to learn to spell the word not just spell it for the test. However, I do understand it is frustrating if children have prepared and then the test doesn't happen.

leccybill Sun 20-Nov-16 22:37:21

DD in Yr2 has a spelling test every Wed morning. She is finding the jump up in spellings quite tricky despite being a good reader, so we practise them on Sunday, Mon and Tues night.

BetweenTwoLungs Sun 20-Nov-16 22:41:25

Spelling tests are when I can squeeze it in. Always a Friday but only because I can't exactly put it off until the next day. So agree with spaniel!!

irvineoneohone Sun 20-Nov-16 22:49:05

Tbh, I think delayed spelling test won't be such a bad thing. If you are secure, just chill and take the test when teacher do the test. If you are unsure yet, extra time to practice.

smellyboot Mon 21-Nov-16 15:36:11

Our school and that of my friend abandoned spelling tests in favour of other schemes. The view was that they don't help much. My child can spell everything and anything. Her friend simply can't do it yet. Tests didn't achieve much other than to tell us that. I really wouldn't worry about when they fit them in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now