Best online maths and English resources

(11 Posts)
starwarsismyreligon Fri 11-Nov-16 10:18:36

My kids do mathletics through school and we have home access but I find it doesn't teach a topic / concept rather repetitive questions
Good for practice, I know, but I think my 7 yo needs some further affirmation of concepts such as adding in 5's (easy for the multiples of 5, but she doesn't get the connection with a pattern and every second one is 10, she failing to see the pattern)
She also starting multiplication and doesn't seem to click
So basically I would like to go back to scratch on some of these topics and guide her through it
Have you any recommendations for sites- free or otherwise
Has anyone used carol voderman site?
I heard her interviewed and she described the visual concepts which I applaud, but wondering if there are better sites out there that don't get the same level of "celeb" advertisement!

irvineoneohone Fri 11-Nov-16 10:32:05

For maths I definitely recommend khanacademy. It's a free American site, teaches concept with video tutorials and do the practice question afterward. It's free. Also great for English grammar/science/history/conputing, etc.

irvineoneohone Fri 11-Nov-16 10:34:08

Sorry for crap spelling!

FormerlyCatherineDeB Fri 11-Nov-16 10:35:55

Year 6 here but we use IXL at home for maths as extension work. You can access the whole curriculum from YR to GCSE. We subscribe but I think you can do a certain number of questions a day without a subscription.

irvineoneohone Fri 11-Nov-16 10:38:06

Also this site is great too. topmarks

2014newme Fri 11-Nov-16 10:38:48

Maths factor carol vorderman is good. Very thorough

irvineoneohone Fri 11-Nov-16 10:48:17

We use IXL as well, and it's great, but I wouldn't recommend to dc who needs strengthening of concept. It won't teach the skill, more like testing the knowledge. But it may actually work if you want to strengthen skill by repetition...

MrsGwyn Fri 11-Nov-16 12:51:53

Used mathsfactor site - love it.

Had one DC just started yr 7 finish it and another couple of years younger near finishing. All mine are now very very good at maths having struggled before.

They are very good at motivating the children as well - 30 day challenges medals - ticks with summer and winter schools.

khanacademy worth a look though - mine haven't liked it much for maths yet - though I think it good at explaining concepts there is I think less practise. Though do like it for computing though.

poppyfieldmum Fri 11-Nov-16 15:33:40

We found Komodo maths to be excellent.

VikingMama Fri 11-Nov-16 15:43:28

Khan academy- excellent content, not the most exciting of websites
SumDog- great for maths consolidation, not teaching
Prodigy maths- good fun, again no teaching, just revision
Dragonbox- concept maths on iPad
Murderous maths books.

user1470171746 Wed 23-Nov-16 20:40:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now