Moving mid term back to old catholic school advice/help please..

(8 Posts)
susieb19 Thu 10-Nov-16 10:59:04

I'll try and keep this succinct!
Thanks in advance to anyone with any ideas or advice.
Basically two dd's moved from local catholic school to a different school. New school has been a nightmare from day one. Youngest has experienced a let's call it 'safeguarding' issue with another child that includes an assault. Too difficult and upsetting to get in to.

My question is - I have been to see the head of their old school. They were there from age 4 (they are now 9&10). He was prepared to see me and clearly it was humiliating for me to have to go back with my tail between my legs asking for their places back. That said I am prepared to do anything to put this right. Both were happy at their old school and it is totally my fault that they moved and have had to go through this

Sorry back to my point..the head has said he needs to refer it to the governors. He says he can't promise places back etc. They have not replaced the girls and always have had classes of 33-34 which they would have again if we went back. We are a catholic family and live 5 mins away from the school. He is saying the governors will meet next Wednesday and he'll let me know. Any views!!!! Comments. Please be gentle with me it's been a rough few weeks confused thank you for listening!

prh47bridge Thu 10-Nov-16 13:21:51

If they are below PAN in the relevant years and there is no waiting list they have to readmit your girls. They don't have a choice.

If they refuse to readmit your girls you can appeal. If they are below PAN in the relevant years you should win.

Even if they are above PAN you would still have a good chance at appeal as they were clearly coping with your girls before and haven't replaced them, so there is no reason to believe they could not cope with them again. It would not, however, be guaranteed.

susie2999 Thu 10-Nov-16 16:33:57

Thanks so much for your reply. Sorry but what is pan? Pupil something?

prh47bridge Thu 10-Nov-16 17:35:14

PAN = Published Admission Number. The number of pupils they admit to Reception each year.

susie2999 Thu 10-Nov-16 18:01:46

Oh I see. This would be for years 4 and 5.

Headachehattie123 Thu 10-Nov-16 19:48:12

Why did you move them initially and were there any issues at the old school that may stop them from taking them back?

prh47bridge Thu 10-Nov-16 19:52:44

The PAN for Reception usually applies to all years.

susie2999 Thu 10-Nov-16 22:25:18

We moved them to a school with much smaller classes but have found that actually the classes are TOO small. There were no issues that would prevent an offer. Both well behaved and worked hard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now