need suggession

(5 Posts)
user1478528630 Mon 07-Nov-16 14:45:31

i need to enroll my son to primary school..confused betwee st mary's kilmun street and parkview primary summerston ..i need good friendly and very safe environment for my son and want exelent moral values to taught..i dont want him to learn sex education too early..plz guide

TeenAndTween Mon 07-Nov-16 17:13:00

My suggestion is to repost with the Location of your query in the title, as you may then get more people looking. Even having read your post I have no idea where you live.

Almost all school expect to have 'excellent moral values'. Assuming you want your child brought up to be polite, respectful, think of others, not be violent, be honest and truthful etc etc etc.

Sex education starts early, but probably not sex education as you think about it. Earlier on it is more understanding that bodies change and grow, and also that you have private areas on your body. This of course is important information. Later more detail is added, so that for example, girls are prepared for periods before they start having them. They aren't teaching 6 year olds the karma sutra!

Have you looked at the schools? Are the results OK? Do they teach reading properly (by phonics). Are the children polite and friendly? Do they appear happy?

user1478528630 Mon 07-Nov-16 17:51:58

hi dear thank you soooooo much for your detailed reply im feeling lighter after reading it ..i live in maryhil glenavon road glasgow..its my firdt day in mumsnet so i may b bit not good doing msgs and narrating things properly ...actually lots of people lots of stories so that made me confused coz its my firdt chilf going to primary school...and you have cleared my silly mind about s education....and im very scared of the stories ive read about bullying lots of other things..honestly even my son is just 4 years old..and going to p1 in august im feeling that im sending him in field of war or somewhere where he might hv to see bad guys..im sorry all i know lovly kids are in schools but im just telling you about my fears

TeenAndTween Mon 07-Nov-16 19:47:08

It is OK to feel nervous and apprehensive about sending your precious child to primary. They will be getting experiences and influences that you can no longer control. On the other hand you will get the joy of seeing them grow and expand their horizons.

The fact you are in Scotland is important as they have different admissions system (and curriculum) to England. In particular, the impression I have from these boards is there is less 'choice' / parental preference in Scotland when it comes to deciding on a primary school. People tend to go to their catchment school. I don't know if that applies in densely populated areas such as Glasgow though.

Any school that says it has 'no bullying' is lying. Things will occur in all schools from time to time. What is important is how it is dealt with and the messages given to pupils about it not being tolerated. That is one of the reasons why, if given a choice, you find a school you feel you would be able to communicate with should issues ever arise.

If you post a new thread labelled Primaries in Glasgow you may get more local responses. Also somewhere on here there is a 'Scotsnet' board which may be helpful.

user1478528630 Wed 09-Nov-16 18:00:18

dear im extremly greatful to you for such a helpfull guidline..im starting a new thread thanks to you again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now