15min story for Year 4 class?

(20 Posts)
jetSTAR Mon 07-Nov-16 10:25:15

Hi, a quick call for help here! I have just found out I have a job interview tomorrow and I need to read a story for 15 mins ish to a Year 4 class (8 - 9year olds). I am an infant teacher but don't have much experience in KS2! My daughter is only 7!
I'm thinking a short story would be good and would rather read something they have most likely not heard before.
TIA

Ferguson Mon 07-Nov-16 18:48:03

You haven't much time to find it, but Anne Fine's "Diary of a Killer Cat" is a brilliantly funny little book - and there is scope for 'audience participation', and a variety of voices. I used it on a job interview once, and the other staff enjoyed it even more than the children!

Ferguson Mon 07-Nov-16 18:50:42

You might be able to piece together the text from on-line sources.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Mon 07-Nov-16 18:52:13

Can you download a kindle book of it onto your phone?

rollonthesummer Mon 07-Nov-16 18:52:42

That's not for a teacher role, is it?! I've never heard of an interview task like that before!

lifeisaconundrumattimes Mon 07-Nov-16 18:55:58

Personally I'd read and discuss an excerpt of a book. The start of the twits maybe??

jetSTAR Mon 07-Nov-16 19:30:57

thank you all, will have a look online

TeacherBob Mon 07-Nov-16 19:44:39

In that age range I LOVE choosing a part of a book. And I like to go for teen-adult books more.

An example would be, in the hobbit, there is a great descriptive chapter about the dragon.
You could read that, make it sound amazing and leave them begging for more.

irvineoneohone Mon 07-Nov-16 20:08:56

TeacherBob, my ds(yr4) would definitely love your idea.

MissClarke86 Mon 07-Nov-16 20:20:12

I'm also surprised a teaching role interview is just "read a story for 15 mins".

I'd do Lost Happy Endings, it's absolutely packed with exciting and figurative language - lots to discuss. I'd also pick a section.

You will struggle to find a book you could read through fully in 15 minutes, that isn't aimed at a younger audience.

jetSTAR Mon 07-Nov-16 21:04:05

Someone irl did suggest to me that it would be ok to use a picture book aimed at older readers e.g. The Day the Crayons quit. I like Dinosaurs and all that Rubbish, as it has a good message.

ShoeEatingMonster Mon 07-Nov-16 21:45:49

Diary of a killer cat is AMAZING! The kids absolutely love it. Is this for a teacher role? What do they want you to do for the interview? I've got loads of planning on diary of a killer cat if it'll help

Naschkatze Mon 07-Nov-16 21:54:55

Something by Anthony Browne? A picture book would mean you could read the whole thing and allow some time for discussion. 'Voices in the Park' has lots to notice and talk about in the pictures.

girlsyearapart Mon 07-Nov-16 22:00:24

One of roald dahls short stories ? Or revolting rhymes?
Depends on whether you need to get anything from them as a result

jetSTAR Mon 07-Nov-16 22:00:47

Its for a p/t TA/SNA role - am I over thinking it maybe?

girlsyearapart Mon 07-Nov-16 22:06:42

It will be to see how you interact with the children then I guess ?
Good luck

jetSTAR Mon 07-Nov-16 22:44:13

Thank you, it doesn't say anything more in the letter than this...

"We would like you to prepare an activity for a year 4 class, which will be observed by our SENCO. Please could you read a story of your choice; this task is expected to last for 20 minutes."

So I'm torn between Diary of a Killer Cat & Dinosaurs and all that Rubbish. grin

ClassmateHB Mon 07-Nov-16 22:48:15

I think reading a story, and then picking up on certain language structures could be good. My year four is currently learning metaphors and similes in class, and they are doing extracts from Harry Potter!

jetSTAR Tue 08-Nov-16 07:38:37

smile thank you

rollonthesummer Tue 08-Nov-16 07:46:21

I would say preparing an activity and reading a story are two different tasks. I'd read the first chapter of a story and get them off in pairs doing a quick task about the story.

I can't think they'll learn too much about you just from watching you read for twenty minutes-theyl'l want to see how you interact with the children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now