DS 7, "signs of ASD", was top of class but has slipped to bottom in Yr 3

(6 Posts)
ThePrinceofMist Fri 04-Nov-16 17:32:57

Hi

Just as the title says. I'm a bit confused and wondered if anyone could help me gather my thoughts.

Is it normal for a child who is bright, a good reader and OK at maths to move down the class so suddenly? He was discharged from the paed as although he shows signs of ASD and Dyspraxia, there is not enough for a diagnoses apparently. My gut tells me this is perhaps true. His Yr 2 teacher said he was just "quirky" (and lovely).

He has a teacher who is new to the school this year and they have just jiggled the class around and he has been put with the bottom group (I used to help out a few days a week last year so know the abilities of all of the children in the class).

The thing is, ds knows that this is the bottom group and says he's not going to try as there is no point. I have spoken to his teacher who says it's not a bottom group (it is - it only has 4 children in it and they are the ones who really struggle with reading, whereas my son has been a free reader for half a year now - and most still can't write properly).

We have a parents evening next week where I can speak to the teacher more but I want to try and understand why he has gone from the top group in Yr 1 and 2 to the bottom in Yr 3.

Sorry if I am not being coherent. I'm finding it hard to even know what I want to ask!

Any advice gratefully received.

TabithaBethia Fri 04-Nov-16 17:39:28

At my kids' school literally everything about their learning is well documented, so if gaps in attainment have appeared she should be able to pinpoint where they are arising.

If he is on a table with learners still getting to grips with reading and writing and he is a free reader etc that suggests that she hasn't put them in attainment groups.

Anyway, I would put it to her just as you have here.

ThePrinceofMist Fri 04-Nov-16 17:47:43

Thanks Tabitha. I think I am worried about his perception of it, my own and possible perceptions of class mates. (I know that shouldn't matter!)

He told me last week that a lady came in and he did some work with her. Just him and a boy who has been diagnosed with Autism and some other issues. He had to make up stories, colour in parts of a body with different coloured pencils (follow instructions) while timed. Does that sound like an Educational Psychologist? I wasn't told that he would be seeing one, although I haven't had a chance to see the teacher yet.

BetweenTwoLungs Fri 04-Nov-16 17:57:30

This doesn't sound right. It's definitely not possible that they're sat mixed ability? We don't have ability groups at our school at all anymore but children quite often say 'why am I in the bottom table' when they've been sat with lower attaining children. Whats more important is the work he's being given - is he saying it's too easy? If so this is the issue, if the work is not challenging him then that's the line I'd go down.

It better not be the ed psych! You should definitely have known about it if it was, and would have needed to sign a consent form. Ed psychs normally work with one child though. I'd be asking what that was about.

golfbuggy Fri 04-Nov-16 17:59:59

Hang on - the teacher has already told you he is NOT in the bottom group!! Maybe he's on a table for children who might need extra support and she doesn't use ability groupings?

I think you should focus on building your child's self esteem and confidence really - by Y3 I'd expect him to be very aware of how his ability stacks up compared to the class, and he must know that he is not "bottom" - so where has he got this idea that he's been put on a bottom table so he won't bother any more?

ThePrinceofMist Fri 04-Nov-16 18:12:01

BetweenTwoLungs - he did see her on his own but it was just him and another child from his class that saw her that day (at separate times). I thought it sounded like a PE. I don't have a problem with that, but assumed they would have asked (he saw one in Reception too).

Golf - It's his perception! I would wonder if he was put on to help them but there are cleverer children in his class. And he does pair work with other children who I would say are academically on par with him. So perhaps it isn't an ability group table.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now