Primary schools south Devon

(3 Posts)
user1477314581 Wed 26-Oct-16 09:24:04

Hello
We're moving to South Devon after Christmas. Have been living in Uganda for last year and only so much research we can do online (!) so would love any thoughts from people living in the area or with kids similar ages.
Hoping to live near Totnes and husband will be commuting to Exeter. Would love any advice on nicest villages to live in and best primary schools in the area. Ideally state, progressive, outdoor space, open to alternative etc Dartington, Landscove, The Grove, Broadhempston, Ipplepen etc all look like good options. Any thoughts much appreciated - thank you! (I have 3 daughters - 7, 5 and 2).

myfavouritecolourispurple Sat 29-Oct-16 18:41:56

If you DH is working in Exeter you could consider Topsham.

Totnes is a bit of a trek although you could look at somewhere like Abbotskerswell just outside Newton Abbot but still only 15 minutes drive from Totnes. Ipplepen as you've mentioned is just the other side of the main road so also not too far.

Landscove feels a bit out in the sticks to me.

The other villages that are quite nice are Stokeinteignhead and Combeinteignhead. But I don't know how often houses come up for sale, they are not very big villages whereas Ipplepen and Abbotskerswell are a bit bigger with a bit more housing stock.

If you are interested in the grammar schools you could also look at the primaries in Torquay and Paignton which traditionally get a lot of kids in- in my day it was schools like Oldway and Sherwell Valley but it could be very different now. With the new Kingskerswell bypass you can get from Torquay to Exeter much faster than you used to be able to and there is a good train service as well.

user1477314581 Fri 04-Nov-16 09:44:14

Thanks myfavouritecolourispurple

Had a look at all those and some great options but we are set on Totnes so need to find a school (and home!) within about 5 miles ideally of Totnes, preferably on the west side heading out towards the A38. So Staverton, Landscove, Buckfastleigh, Dartington, Broadhempston are all ideal. Just not sure which primary to apply for and would love some advice from anyone with kids at any primaries in these areas.

Anyone?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now