Reading levels for primary aged child

(7 Posts)
MariamaMay Wed 19-Oct-16 23:49:12

I need to speak to my son's - he is in Year 1 - teacher about his progress/lack of progress in reading. However, I just wanted some thoughts before I do.

He has been reading a mix of pink / red and occasional yellow (using the book band colour system) for months. Mostly from ORT range though a few books from other schemes too. I have looked at his reading log and he has been reading these level books as far back as March, and possibly earlier.

I don't think the level itself is the concern (although, I do think it is lagging behind generally speaking - for children at a similar stage). The key concern for me he doesn't seem to be progressing. I would have thought a child should have progressed in this time? I know levels aren't everything but they do show progression. And although every child is different this seems a looonnnng time to be at the same level.

My concern is ALL of school is based on having reasonable reading skills.

He is different at home with me. Seems more able. But I am worrying that perhaps, I am not helping the situation OR missing something. I am very aware that reading is so much more than decoding the words with comprehension being key (as well as lots of other skills).

In terms of reading with me - the other weird thing is, that books he could easily comprehend in reception (exactly same level) are now confusing him. Whereas if he reads a level 4 ish book with me (blue I think), such as an ORT Magic Key one - he is more fluent, and seems to understand them and be able to answer questions more meaningfully! Yes, sometimes he needs prompting. He does struggle at times to understand but usually because something is completely outside of his experience/hasn't come across it.

Also, his reading skills seems to have deteriorated when we read at home. We have always read other books in addition to school ones. In reception, he was able to read more challenging books confidently . Now he is struggling.

I am not sure if I am making any sense or if this is clear as mud.

I have previously tried to talk to teacher. But in passing rather than making an appointment. This time I will make a time. My concern is - why isn't he progressing? Is my concern reasonable given what I have written above or am I being overanxious? If the latter than maybe I don't really need to make a time to speak with the teacher.

Thank you!

irvineoneohone Thu 20-Oct-16 06:24:06

If I understand correctly what teachers on MN says, the reading levels have to match child's decoding skill, not the comprehension.

My ds was lime in spring term reception, but his comprehension was very patchy. Sometimes great, sometimes hopeless. Yet school made him free reader in summer term. My ds's school is very relaxed about book bands, they don't even need to read leveled books for homework, as long as they read regularly anyway. I don't know what they do at school, but it really seems to work.

ladygracie Thu 20-Oct-16 06:28:15

I think it would defintely be worth going in & speaking to the teacher. I did just want to say that ime irvine's son is unusual. Most children are not reading lime or are free readers in reception or y1 so don't be concerned by that.

irvineoneohone Thu 20-Oct-16 06:37:17

Yes, sorry, my ds was hyperlexic. Keep forgetting to mention it!
Just wanted to say that what I read on here made me believe they should progress through levels once they can decode.

PrincessHairyMclary Thu 20-Oct-16 06:49:01

When DD has been on the same level for a while and was reading without any problems and with good comprehension I would just write "These books are no longer challenging Dd. She has been on this band since xx/xx could she be assessed to see if she's ready to move on" more often than not she was, skipping levels in some cases and once she wasn't and the teacher said she wanted her to read a few more at that level.

However, It sounds like he is on the right level if he is struggling to under stand. But I would still make an appointment with the teacher on has change in comprehension, sometimes children regress as they learn other new skills it could just be that or something that needs strategies put in place.

Some schools like the children to finish all the books in the band before moving up.

MariamaMay Thu 20-Oct-16 07:23:38

The weird thing is he can understand higher levels that he reads with me. But the easier red books are where he occasionally has problem. I wonder if he switches off cos they are easy for him?

irvineoneohone Thu 20-Oct-16 07:35:08

Very possible, I think.
My ds does comprehension excercise online, I can tell if he does well or not before he even starts. If the topic was no interest, he does very badly. He just reads the letters/words, not the passage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now