How do I Approach this?

(9 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Wed 19-Oct-16 14:09:24

DS2 is in Year 5 and up until this year has been enthusiastic about school and learning. This year is very different.

He says he doesn't want to go to school, he dislikes his teacher and the TA.
He is a bright boy but now says he's bored and not being challenged.
Living in an 11+ area, Year 5 is a very important year.

Having me this teacher on a couple of occasions she does seem extremely miserable. Speaking to other parents, this seems to be the general consensus.

I know he will have to meet all kinds of people in his life but it upsets me that this previously bubbly learner is now so negative about his school life.

One parent, who is also a school governor, has asked me to speak to the Head about it. She said its a recurring problem.

We have Parents Evening tomorrow night. Any ideas on how best to word things?

TeenAndTween Wed 19-Oct-16 14:30:32

How about saying to the HT:

DS2 is in Year 5 and up until this year has been enthusiastic about school and learning. This year is very different.
He says he doesn't want to go to school, he dislikes his teacher and the TA.
He is a bright boy but now says he's bored and not being challenged.
Living in an 11+ area, Year 5 is a very important year.
I know he will have to meet all kinds of people in his life but it upsets me that this previously bubbly learner is now so negative about his school life.

smile

You could also do with having some concrete examples of boring lessons and not being challenged. e.g. What is he doing in maths, how is English being taught etc.

Clankboing Wed 19-Oct-16 14:32:03

Just say it as it is.

BaconAndAvocado Wed 19-Oct-16 14:46:45

Very clever Teen grin

You're right. I've never had any negative dealings with the DCs school up until now and I feel uncomfortable but it needs to be sorted.

Good idea about the examples.

crispandcheesesanwichplease Wed 19-Oct-16 15:00:59

Agree with other pps. You need to talk to school about it and have some very clear examples to hand. From what other school connected people are saying I doubt that your DC is the only one experiencing this.

I'd rather stick hot pins in my eyes than teach (too bloody tough and relentless) but if you are teaching you need to be more positive and enthusiastic in doing so. You do not want your DC to start disengaging at this early point in his school life.

Be brave and good luck!

crispandcheesesanwichplease Wed 19-Oct-16 15:04:00

Just had another thought Bacon, it may well be that the school are aware and concerned about this already but without concrete evidence their hands are tied. So they may be just waiting for a parent to bring it to their attention in order that they can tackle it.

BaconAndAvocado Wed 19-Oct-16 16:30:45

Thanks loads crisp that's really helpful.

I will be brave smile

BaconAndAvocado Wed 19-Oct-16 16:31:19

Just spoke to DS2, he said, "She doesn't make learning fun".

TeenAndTween Wed 19-Oct-16 16:40:59

I think you need to drill down a bit more than 'not fun'

So 'she talks at the start and then all we get is worksheets. often the worksheets are easy and then I have to read my book because there aren't any harder ones' will give the school a lot more to go on.

Or 'we always have to work on our own. in y4 we got to work in pairs which was more fun and it help me understand stuff better too'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now