Anyone interested in Oxford reading tree books with a reading pen?

(19 Posts)
Lilyuq Tue 18-Oct-16 12:08:34

I am looking for a reading pen product which can read the book. But it seesm only leapfrog reading pen is available and can only read very limited books, and price is very expensive. Now I found out a very good reading pen which can read all leveled reading books, including all levels of Oxford Reading Tree, Peppa Pig from the UK, Heinemann and I can read from the US, and many other popular Children's books. The reading pen and books need to be bought together, the prices are much cheaper than the books here without reading pen functions.

Is anybody interested? We can buy together from overseas and share the shipping cost.

mrsmortis Tue 18-Oct-16 14:26:44

If it's coming from the US remember that it's going to have US spellings. I'd not want my DDs to be learning to read from them. I spent part of my childhood in the US and it was really frustrating when I got back to the UK and couldn't spell.

Would you not be better to use the oxford owl or bug club websites and a tablet?

Lilyuq Tue 18-Oct-16 17:22:23

The reading pen offers both English sound and American sound. You can choose either of them to install into the pen. Yes, owl website offers some sound track, but is it much easier to use the touch pen to read when your kid read the physical books?

Lilyuq Tue 18-Oct-16 17:24:24

In terms of the spelling, the books are exactly same as original one, no need to worry about spelling. The U.K. Books use English spelling and the US books use American spelling.

irvineoneohone Tue 18-Oct-16 23:07:35

Why do you need a reading pen for school aged children?

Tomorrowillbeachicken Wed 19-Oct-16 09:11:49

Be better in pre school education

grumpymcgrumpypants Wed 19-Oct-16 09:44:05

Leap frog ones are dirt cheap on eBay.

Undersmile Wed 19-Oct-16 09:49:57

What is the point of a reason pen?

Lilyuq Wed 19-Oct-16 10:00:41

When you are not here and children cannot really read by themselves, reading pen helps

Undersmile Wed 19-Oct-16 10:48:14

So they're very small children? When would they never be alone?confused

Undersmile Wed 19-Oct-16 10:48:34

Ever, not never, I meant.

grumpymcgrumpypants Wed 19-Oct-16 12:35:19

At 6am, pre caffeine, when I don't want to read the toy story book. They're not screen time, and are another way to enjoy books. Why wouldn't you want one? For a fiver off eBay.

Lilyuq Wed 19-Oct-16 13:16:23

Mum does not always have mood to read the story to children especially they ask you to read one book more than ten timesconfused

irvineoneohone Wed 19-Oct-16 13:22:26

You don't need to read to child all the times to make them love reading!
In fact, I haven't done bed times reading since my ds was 2. He decided to learn to read himself very quickly. If the dc wants to listen to same book 10 times, I assume that's what's going to happen.

Undersmile Wed 19-Oct-16 18:23:08

Mine just looked at the pictures before they could read the words, or "read" the story to themselves, as best they remembered it (word for word in the case of those they'd had hundreds of times).

irvineoneohone Wed 19-Oct-16 19:12:04

Same here, Undersmile, ds just spent ages looking at the books.
I just don't see the point of needing the gadget to read to the child, when adults are busy, if they are genuinely interested in books. I think the want to read makes the child capable of learning to read.

mrz Wed 19-Oct-16 20:07:19

Why would you want a reading pen ...especially for reading scheme books?

irvineoneohone Wed 19-Oct-16 21:54:42

Cheaper way to let children listen while looking at words/stories, is let them watch tv etc with subtitles. My ds learned to read from that, though it wasn't intentional.

mrz Thu 20-Oct-16 05:26:59

Why would you want them to listen to ORT reading scheme books?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now