Year 3 reader is bored by school reading books :(

(20 Posts)
Badders123 Sat 15-Oct-16 14:48:23

Ds2 is an able and fluent reader (imo) but his school use the accelerated reader programme and the books are soooo boring. He rarely gets 100% in the quizzes because he just reads them but zones out iyswim? Yet he has read the book easily and his comprehension is good.
Anyway, this morning he read the first chapter of how to train your dragon to me - he read it beautifully - only struggled with 2 words (fanatically and suggested) and got both with help
Should I write a note in his reading book? I'm quite happy to provide books for him to read at school....wwyd

mrz Sat 15-Oct-16 18:07:41

I don't use AR (not a fan) has he been assessed lately?

Badders123 Sat 15-Oct-16 18:37:48

No he hasn't which is also concerning me.
In year 2 he was assessed quite regularly, but the year 3 teacher is new to the school and there seems to have been no assessment yet...seems to be a different TA in there each day too...
It's parents evening in November so I assume he will be assessed before then?

Badders123 Sat 15-Oct-16 18:39:43

He has just read me some more and is reading words like "hallucinated" and "overwhelming" and yet has brought a book home that only has about 16 words a page!! 😕

Badders123 Sat 15-Oct-16 18:42:28

It's tricky for me as my ds1 was dx as severely dyslexic in year 4 and was nowhere near this level in Year 3 so I'm not sure if I'm being pushy but he does seem to be quite a fluent reader to me
His writing is also very good for a leftie!

TeenAndTween Sat 15-Oct-16 18:50:02

Perhaps get him to finish How to Train your Dragon, and then ask the school if he can do the AR test on that to see how he gets on?

Badders123 Sat 15-Oct-16 18:55:17

That's a good idea.
Thank you
I'm not a fan of AR tbh sad

MerryMarigold Sat 15-Oct-16 19:18:42

My twins are Y3 and we just read books at home. They never read the school ones! (Though we are not quizzed on them). They have plenty of stuff here. Just get him stuff he enjoys and ignore the school stuff if I were you. My ds2 is reading David Walliams and my dd likes anything with animals - currently a Michael Morpurgo one. She is still not a 'free reader' at school, but the stuff they send home is so babyish and boring, and she is way, way past it. I'm not going to push for her to be moved up a level as ds2 is a free reader but still prefers to read his books from home.

Badders123 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:23:15

Yeah
I think I have to ignore the AR scheme and just do our own thing....

booellesmum Sat 15-Oct-16 19:30:38

I could have written that 4 years ago.
I tried to talk to our school about letting her be a "free reader" but got nowhere.
Gave up. I read the school books and told her what they were about incase she got questioned, and let her read what she wanted.
It worked for us. No more arguments about having to read the school book when she didn't want to. No more bored child.
She progressed so much more quickly.
I really believe reading should be a pleasure, not a chore.
She is now at a grammar school so I don't think my approach did any harm!

QuackDuckQuack Sat 15-Oct-16 19:32:08

DD is only in year 1, but I have explained to her that as an adult I will stop reading a book if I don't like it and I think she should be able to do the same with her home reading.

evelynj Sat 15-Oct-16 19:36:51

Is year 3 an 8 year old? Sorry I'm norn iron & we're different but my 6 year old is a great reader & similar problems. It's his bday in a few weeks so may try train your dragon. He likes wimpy kid & captain underpants (although I don't as its full of 'quirky' spelling errors.

Badders123 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:40:18

He's quite bright....I'm pretty sure he has figured out that he can pretend he has read the book and do a quiz and try and wing it 😁
The odd book he does enjoy he gets 100% in the quiz

Badders123 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:43:03

Yes he is 8 smile
The books are great fun - they were the books that got my dyslexic ds1 into reading

Seryph Sat 15-Oct-16 19:47:52

enelynj Year 3 is 7-8.
Just encourage reading of more interesting books at home OP, and maybe think about asking school to assess.
Just because he has to read certain books at home, does not mean he can only read those books at home!

Badders123 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:48:13

Boo...
Did your school use AR?

evelynj Sat 15-Oct-16 20:05:06

Our school is a bit pants really, don't think they use AR, top reading group is not challenging enough for him though & pretty dull.

The other issue I have is that my dad is pretty sensitive & I don't want books that will traumatise him or say Santa doesn't exist!

Badders123 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:08:20

Ah yes I have a sensitive boy too smile

MerryMarigold Mon 17-Oct-16 15:00:32

Don't give him Demon Dentist (David Walliams) then!

LittleMissUpset Mon 17-Oct-16 15:07:38

Our school reading books are awful! We read Roald Dahl books and similar at home and I help with the difficult words, even I hate the school reading books!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now