International primary curriculum

(7 Posts)
campervan07 Fri 14-Oct-16 16:37:05

Can anyone explain to me the main differences between normal uk primary curriculum and the international primary curriculum please? Or share views on why one is better than the other? Thanks.

TeacherBob Fri 14-Oct-16 18:18:15

We have just started using this.

Seems to me (and I am in no way an expert, I have only just started using it to plan next terms topic) that it is a set of plans to make sure you cover everything you need to in the foundation subjects.

jennielou75 Fri 14-Oct-16 19:44:41

I taught it for three years. Didn't like it.....no differentiation, difficult to have enough resources when all year group doing science at same time....some of the lessons were bizarre and had to be adapted e.g. teaching the migration of bees to year 1......we had to make a lot of changes or the lessons were ones we had been doing anyway.

We were told it was to ensure good quality coverage of foundation subjects which I felt was insulting.

Only thing I liked was parental involvement at beginning and end of themes.

TeacherBob Fri 14-Oct-16 19:58:18

Interesting jennielou, the foundation stage coverage is why I do like it

changed loads of activities though

jennielou75 Fri 14-Oct-16 20:20:51

I just didn't feel it was great. We spent hours adapting it and felt we could have done that with theme plans we were already using to improve them. Because the themes were in mileposts and went across two years they were always too easy or too hard. We were sold it as reducing our planning time but for the first two years we spent hours redoing a lot of it.

campervan07 Fri 14-Oct-16 21:24:42

Did you find it negatively impacted on academic results or no real difference?

jennielou75 Fri 14-Oct-16 22:02:59

I would say no real difference. We spent £12,000 on something I really feel we could have done ourselves with the best of the QCA units, twinkl plan it units and the experience and knowledge of our staff. If we had spent money on supply to free up teams we could have made our own curriculum map that covered the foundation subjects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now