Accelerated reader - ds had a book taken off him as it was .2 outside of his level!

(10 Posts)
OriginalBlonde Sun 09-Oct-16 15:41:32

Not a fan.

He's been a free reader for quite some time. His bedroom has books scattered everywhere, he loves reading.

He recently picked a very popular book at school, one he's perfectly capable of reading. He was reading on the way to school etc got up to page 90 and had it taken off him! Before accelerated reader this was something he could have continued to read. It was something like .2 outside the level he'd been given.

Not sure I like this new system. Why discourage a child from the love of reading a good book. Ds was engrossed in it.

I will be buying him the book and let him read it at home.

SprogletsMum Sun 09-Oct-16 15:44:18

Ds is on this scheme and doesn't touch the books he brings home from school. He reads whatever he fancies and quizzes on that. I'd much rather he enjoys reading and chooses books for enjoyment than because they're with 0.1 of whatever his "level" is. Get him the book he was reading from the library.

ChuckBiscuits Sun 09-Oct-16 15:45:34

Get him the book he was reading from the library.

She is. Read the last line. She is not an idiot.

louisejxxx Mon 10-Oct-16 13:29:34

Bit harsh!

tinks269 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:20:23

As a teacher who uses accelerated reader I think this is ridiculous. I would never take any book off a child if they were enjoying it - regardless of whether they could read it or not. The fact that your son could read this book just makes it all the more ridiculous. Let him read it and then answer the quiz on it and earn the points.

OriginalBlonde Tue 11-Oct-16 00:20:06

I did find it very harsh.

It was a TA who took the book off him.

I'll buy him the whole series and let him continue it at home.

Pretty sad though when a child's obvious enjoyment of something, which doesn't have to be encouraged in ds case, is being discouraged by .2 of a point!

OriginalBlonde Tue 11-Oct-16 00:21:11

I will be speaking to the teacher during parents evening though. Not sure anything will be done but will let my feelings known.

kate33 Tue 11-Oct-16 00:26:36

It sounds awful, I thought the idea was to foster a love of reading not discourage it. I have to be honest I don't know anything about this scheme, please could someone explain. Thanks.

Unacceptable Tue 11-Oct-16 01:02:28

Do you know who is in charge of running the scheme at the school? Ask to speak to them about it, they probably aren't aware of the TAs actions.

I have a couple of tas who take levels very seriously and I have had to have a quiet word once or twice. Alternatively I have a teacher who pushes classics and 'literary' texts above all else despite the fact they are way above the right range for some students.

Can your dc quiz from home? Does your school use home connect? If so you could take charge of what he reads and quizzes in yourself (not that you should need to)

AR is designed to both encourage and challenge students, combining reading for pleasure with productivity that can be analysed and measured. It should never be so rigid as to deter any student from reading anything they want

OriginalBlonde Wed 12-Oct-16 00:06:07

I'm not sure who is in charge of running the scheme. I'll definitely be raising this during parents evening.

I have emails sent to me regarding ds school quiz scores but don't know how I go about getting him to do the quizzes at home? I couldn't make it to the AR meeting which they had at school, I have some info with regards to ds being able to pick books 'within the level' via the AR scheme but nothing about doing the quiz from home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now