Does anyone have experience of use of testwise?

(7 Posts)
Creamsugar Thu 06-Oct-16 16:28:39

My son in Year 3 has been tested using testwise at school for literacy and numeracy. Does anyone know how this works and how it is used?

Ferguson Thu 06-Oct-16 20:07:29

No, I didn't know of it.

You can get a PDF about it, or find more on "GL Assessment" web site,
but it seems you can't access much until you register and sign up to it.

I think Granada are involved - MANY years ago they used to produce educational software I think.

To try it out, you will have register - I don't know if there is a charge.

teaandbiscuitsforme Fri 07-Oct-16 12:33:36

What is it you want to know about it? There are various 'tests' that schools can subscribe to so he may have been tested in maths, reading, SPAG, or his general ability (CAT test).

teaandbiscuitsforme Fri 07-Oct-16 12:35:31

Sorry, missed the literacy and numeracy bit! Did he do the tests on a computer or paper? They're used to give the teacher a standardised score (average being 100) and can identify areas of strength and weakness.

stamfield Mon 10-Oct-16 16:37:52

My child is aged 8/9, P5 here in NI or Year4.
She has a high reading age & quite good at maths but I would like to continually challenge her with online videos & tests as that's where she likes to spend her spare time.
I seem to spend more time searching for appropriate content than actually working through it with her, so I'm considering an online subscription.
Can anyone advise on a suitable site with up to date content please?

Creamsugar Mon 10-Oct-16 17:44:01

He was tested on the computer. I will be speaking to his teacher about this to find out more information.

teaandbiscuitsforme Tue 11-Oct-16 18:38:02

Cream Find out if they did the year 2 test or the year 3 test as it's so early in the year. I'm not a massive fan of the content or layout of some parts of the tests but the report they produce about the results is really interesting for the teacher. And it highlights areas of strength and areas to work on.

If you want to find out how your child had done, you could ask for their standardised score. 100 is average so anything above is getting to be above average. 130+ is a very high score. The tests also give you where each pupil ranks in their class and also where they'd rank in 100 ordinary children taking that test.

From my experience, the kids absolutely love them, mainly because they're on the computer.

Is there anything you're particularly worried about with regard to them using these tests?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now