Resources (books or website) to support Y5 with literacy

(7 Posts)
iwantavuvezela Tue 04-Oct-16 14:02:50

Has any one used a book or website that supports writing / literacy overall for Y5. My DD received working below expectations in literacy for Y4, and I would like to do some work with her around this to support her.

Her handwriting is fine (so not that writing - and I would say that her reading and comprehension is okay/good). It is more the actual writing down her thoughts / sentences / stories that seem very limited.

For me it would help if I had a workbook or online resource, where we could do some exercises a couple of times a week.

mrsmortis Tue 04-Oct-16 14:26:57

Usborne do several books that are full of creative writing prompts. Would somethink like this help:

www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Writing-Book-Louie-Stowell/dp/1409598780/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1475587559&sr=1-2&keywords=creative+writing

irvineoneohone Tue 04-Oct-16 14:27:59

We use this site for inspiration for writing for my ds.

pobble365.com/

There's also this.

www.topmarks.co.uk/english-games/7-11-years/writing

iwantavuvezela Tue 04-Oct-16 16:25:36

Thank you for those suggestions, will have a look at all suggestions.

The pobble link looks really interesting.

Ferguson Tue 04-Oct-16 19:44:04

When I was a TA I used to encourage reluctant writers by letting them DICTATE their ideas to me, and I would type on the computer for them.

If you have a tape recorder, or can record via a phone, she could dictate her text, listen to it back and amend or correct as necessary, and then finally write or type it up. Dictating first allows her to try various drafts, and possibly try something more ambitious or experimental than she would normally consider, if she was just writing writing.

[I think software that automatically types to one's dictation will be available one day, but I don't think it has really arrived yet!]

ShoeEatingMonster Tue 04-Oct-16 20:06:54

It really depends what her issues are. Is it sentence structure? Limited vocabulary? Missing punctuation? Doesn't make sense? Spelling? Grammar? Structure? Simply making her write without teaching her to address whatever her issues are is pointless and unless she enjoys writing may put her off. Get some guidance from the teacher about what she needs to work on if you're unsure.

Apart from that good readers make good writers so keep her reading even if her comprehension is good. Read a range of authors and genres.

iwantavuvezela Thu 06-Oct-16 19:05:10

Thank you for that. Shoemaking monster I will take your advice, have a parent teacher meeting coming up and will identify her weaker areas and then look at the sites / resources given by others to see if suitable.

Ferguson I will keep your idea in mind as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now