Is it too soon for a September 2017 reception support thread?

(8 Posts)
BellaGoth Wed 28-Sep-16 20:08:35

Anybody about to embark on school applications and want to chat? I don't know about anyone else but I think I'll need a place to get advice / support over the next year!

DS will be 4 in January and I think will be very ready for school come September. Our catchment school is single form entry and very over-subscribed but we live quite close so fingers crossed we'll get in!

First school tours next week, quite looking forward to it!

TVWife Wed 28-Sep-16 20:19:23

No its not too early IMO

YokoUhOh Wed 28-Sep-16 20:22:22

Applications haven't opened yet in my part of the country. DS1 4 in November. He already goes to village pre-school so I don't anticipate much changing in Sep 2017!

louisejxxx Wed 28-Sep-16 20:32:27

Never too soon!

Luckily ds is already at the school dd will be attending so we are 2nd on the criteria list...but the school is always under-subscribed anyway. She is currently at the village preschool and is 4 in Jan so it will hopefully just be the next step up.

BellaGoth Wed 28-Sep-16 20:50:02

My DS is also in the preschool attached to the school, so the transition should be pretty easy I hope!

We have a chronic shortage of school spaces here and we're 5th on the criteria list (I think!), so I'm not going to count my chickens. We're looking around all of the local schools just in case. Which reminds me, I need to book 2 more tours!

BellaGoth Wed 05-Oct-16 11:07:50

Well, we have our first tours tomorrow. Any hints and tips from anyone who's been there and done that?

Loraline Thu 06-Oct-16 10:33:29

I'm in DS is 4 in June. I'm in Central London in an area where there are no community schools, but a handful of busy Primary Academies and a LOT of CofE and Catholic Schools (I have unbaptised children). I'm in the process of setting up visits to schools and open days for about 8 local schools to check them out. Bit stressful.

What kind of things should I be looking for and asking about when visiting schools?

BellaGoth Sun 09-Oct-16 18:56:57

Hi Lora, that does sound stressful!

We've done 2 tours now and mostly for us it comes down to feel. I think it's useful to know what they do about bullying. I asked how they communicate learning methods to parents. Both schools allowed us to talk to pupils which was great.

Two more tours to book then time to look at the form!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now