Watching telly

(5 Posts)
DoublyTroubly Mon 26-Sep-16 15:52:08

Hi

Is it normal for reception children to watch CBeebies at school? Apparently (and I can't guarantee that this is correct) my daughter watched waybuloos, 2 X alpha blocks and a bedtime stories today! To be fair, they are in reception and it was their first full day today so they were probably all tired!

TheTroubleWithAngels Mon 26-Sep-16 19:40:22

That seems quite a lot. Was it a wet play?

I won't say that I never use the interactive board for TV, but I always try to go for a story first.

However, in some situations- e.g. children getting changed for PE (once they're changed, they can come and sit down and watch Alphablocks) or Sally throwing up in the home corner (you need to get them sitting down away from the vomit!) it does come in handy.

Mistoffelees Mon 26-Sep-16 21:19:07

We have telly on a Friday afternoon aseven by the end of the year the children are tired and don't get much learning done in the last half hour, we usually only just make it through one or two episodes of Topsy and Tim though, often less than that. If it's wet play then we have telly on as a choice alongside 'wet play' toys.

MissClarke86 Mon 26-Sep-16 21:24:02

I teach Year 2 in a school in a tough area under a demanding academy chain. I can imagine watching a story being told on the interactive whiteboard, but sitting watching episodes of kids TV? Not a chance! We're pulled up if there is even 1 minute of the day when children aren't actively learning.

I'm not saying I always agree with it (everybody needs down time!) but I surprised schools get away with doing it.

I'm inclined to think it might have been wet playtime entertainment.

MiaowTheCat Tue 27-Sep-16 07:48:46

If you believe DD1 she does nowt but watch cbeebies at school. A bit more gentle digging revealed it's the occasional episode of Numberjacks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now