Primary to secondary - where's the data?

(13 Posts)
Izabelblue Sat 24-Sep-16 00:13:14

Hello!

Quick one - I have been googling until my fingers bleed but there doesn't seem to be any publicly accessible data about which students went from which primary school to which secondary school. Does such a dataset exist? If so, where?

Ptarmigandancinginthegloaming Sat 24-Sep-16 00:16:57

I don't think that would be published online - they would need the explicit permission of each parent to put information like that out there. If u know the parents u can ask them, if u don't, it's perhaps a bit strange to be trying to track a child like this :-s

100greenbottles Sat 24-Sep-16 06:09:34

I've seen this too, by percentage, but can't find it again. Could it have been Good Schools Guide which I once had a sub to?

youcannoteatconkers Sat 24-Sep-16 06:23:17

I think op might mean more of a 26% of our pupils gained places at school A 64% got places at school B general info as in school destinations. Many private schools publish the info on their sites. With state schools in guessing you could ask.

Toomanycats99 Sat 24-Sep-16 06:36:47

Out state primary just has a message in its monthly newsletter saying how many went where.,nothing formal.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sat 24-Sep-16 07:02:40

Our primary school just told us in the yr5 transition meeting.

100greenbottles Sat 24-Sep-16 07:11:24

I've found it but only for London. It's in the London Schools Atlas. Sorry, OP, if you are elsewhere!

Toomanycats99 Sat 24-Sep-16 07:19:25

100 green bottles? I have just looked T that website te but I don't seem to get any info when I click on the schools they go to?

Izabelblue Sat 24-Sep-16 08:38:54

Thanks everyone! I am indeed just looking for anonymised percentage data. I'm in London so I'll take a look at the schools atlas.

I'm baffled that there is so much data about test results etc but no standard dataset for the actual outcomes. Surely just as or more important. Open data is only useful if it's actionable.

And yes, I am a data analyst IRL!

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sat 24-Sep-16 09:46:16

The trouble is that school choice isn't just determined by school results. I know people who have passed entrance exams but chosen other schools. Your child might qualify for a prestigious school but you think a different school would suit them better. Your child might want to study German instead of Spanish. You might not live close enough so you don't get a place. The year group is small so any inferences you draw might be influenced by a small number of children doing something different. There is a population increase/ increase in school places so the destination of school leavers doesn't predict future years.

Out of 30 children in dd's class they went to 12 different secondary schools. They all live within about a mile of each other. Some met admission criteria for one school and not another others liked different schools.

Why do you want to know?

100greenbottles Sun 25-Sep-16 16:02:08

Toomanycats- find the school, click on it, choose primary/secondary transition on bottom of menu, I think. It doesn't seem complete, though- I think some are missing as lots of the percentages are 5-10%.
I want to know as I would like to see if the kids at the secondaries I'm looking at all camefrom a small group of primaries. It certainly doesn't tell you anything about outcomes from primary though as school destinations are determined largely by distance.

TeenAndTween Sun 25-Sep-16 20:59:44

To be honest I think you need to
a) ask the primary where in general their pupils go
b) ask any secondaries how many primary schools 'feed' into it and which the main feeder schools are.

At DD's primary on average 2/3 go to one secondary, 1/3 to another with maybe 1 or 2 children going elsewhere.
About 40 schools feed into the secondary, though I guess it has 4 or 5 major feeder schools.

But I don't understand why the info would be all that useful?

100greenbottles Wed 28-Sep-16 13:18:07

Btw the London Schools Atlas only seems to provide the data on a tablet - can't get at it on a computer. And it's only available for state schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now