DS reception and mid-morning snack policy

(139 Posts)
Loletta Wed 21-Sep-16 18:18:37

Hi everyone
My DS has started reception and I have an issue with the policy adopted by his school which means he can only have a piece of fruit - provided by the school, no supplementing allowed - at break time. He's not a big breakfast eater, even if he was, there's no way he could go from 8 am to 12.30 with just a piece of fruit and not be starving.
Is this policy common? Should I challenge it? I'd be happy to give him an extra banana from home but was told that I'm not allowed to under any circumstances to do so otherwise everyone could be allowed to bring a piece of fruit from home and it would be too much work for the teacher.

neveruponatime Wed 21-Sep-16 18:23:35

How is it work for the teacher?!

I'm a reception teacher and I've never heard of that.

A snack from home can be quite soothing in a favourite tub for a 4 year old. Most of them would be ravenous shrieking octopuses by lunchtime shock

lifeisaconundrumattimes Wed 21-Sep-16 18:24:39

I don't see why it would be extra work for the teacher really BUT it is commonplace and actually I think if he can't go that long then he just needs more breakfast. If he had a big bowl of porridge with a banana and a glass of milk he should be able to go until 12:30. He won't starve. Perhaps look at breakfast options he will eat and encourage him this way?
I've worked at schools that provide morning snacks and the snacks they provide are balanced but small. No more filling than a piece of fruit.

EmmaGellerGreen Wed 21-Sep-16 18:25:14

That's exactly what happens in DS school. School provided snack and milk mid morning. DS has an enormous appetite and didn't starve!

BouleBaker Wed 21-Sep-16 18:25:44

Ours have a fruit snack but that's it. How much do you think they need to eat between breakfast and lunch?

NapQueen Wed 21-Sep-16 18:25:58

If he has sufficient breakfast then of course he can last!

Surely he doesn't start school at 8am? Can he have a banana in the car/on the walk on the way to school?

NapQueen Wed 21-Sep-16 18:26:38

I'm sure a few days of hunger will encourage a bigger breakfast intake.

KittyandTeal Wed 21-Sep-16 18:26:41

We've only ever done school fruit at snack time.

It's never crossed my mind that some parents would send other snacks in. We've never said its not allowed but equally no one has ever asked.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 21-Sep-16 18:27:29

Fruit is standard snack at primary. It's often provided free of charge.

If there's no medical reason why he needs extra food he can surely just wait? No one starves between breakfast and lunch

PumpkinPie9 Wed 21-Sep-16 18:27:34

Ours had the same policy and i felt it would be better to have something more substantial too for the same reasons. A bottle of milk or something would have been good like in the 70s. Or even a biscuit. shock

teacher54321 Wed 21-Sep-16 18:28:05

Standard in every school I've worked in. Do they get milk as well? Ds has just started started reception. They're allowed to take their own snacks but it's only allowed to be fruit. He takes an apple or some carrot sticks, last year in preschool it was compulsory fruit provided by the school with no supplements and he didn't eat a single snack morning snack for a year. His choice to not eat things that he liked that were offered to him.

kilmuir Wed 21-Sep-16 18:28:11

He needs to have a bigger breakfast!

NavyandWhite Wed 21-Sep-16 18:28:58

I wouldn't say anything. You'll have a name for yourself and he's only just started.

Get him up a bit early and try and get some breakfast in him.

Artandco Wed 21-Sep-16 18:30:33

It's standard.

Ours get milk and fruit

He will have to learn to eat a bigger breakfast if hungry. It's only 4hrs until lunch

lifeisaconundrumattimes Wed 21-Sep-16 18:30:42

Yes to be fair he should also be getting (or being offered) milk. Which will keep him going too.

Ilikesweetpeas Wed 21-Sep-16 18:31:51

It's standard in most schools, I wouldn't make a fuss about this

DurhamDurham Wed 21-Sep-16 18:34:46

I don't think the school will change the policy for you. Your son will soon get used to going four and a half hours without food, he'll definitely look forward to his lunch.

If he isn't keen on a big breakfast could he eat a banana on the way to school ?

BikeRunSki Wed 21-Sep-16 18:37:58

Same in my dc's school. You may bring in your own fruit, but not many do.

Stellabystarlight Wed 21-Sep-16 18:39:56

I'm not a primary teacher but even I can imagine that this is less about the snack and more about the disruption to the morning of having to get 30 snacks out of 30 bags and back. Suddenly snack time takes a massive chunk out of the morning.

While it's obviously not been your routine pre-school, like others have said you probably do need to focus on ways to increase his breakfast intake.

WhatWouldFlopDo Wed 21-Sep-16 18:41:36

Our school is different in that DD is lucky enough to choose from toast or a piece of fruit in the morning. We pay for the morning snack, only 50p a week, then they get their free fruit in the afternoon. I do feel better about her getting toast because she seems to eat constantly in the morning when she is at home.

Trumpette Wed 21-Sep-16 18:43:50

My school allows a bread based snack (croissant, crackers, slice of bread, brioche) at break time. I personally think it is unrealistic to expect them to last until lunch time. My two certainly couldn't and they drank the milk too! X

FruitCider Wed 21-Sep-16 18:45:36

My child has mid morning snack of fruit. Sometimes she has a second piece of fruit if she's still hungry. They can't be limiting the OPs child to one piece if he's hungry surely?

FruitCider Wed 21-Sep-16 18:45:48

My child has mid morning snack of fruit. Sometimes she has a second piece of fruit if she's still hungry. They can't be limiting the OPs child to one piece if he's hungry surely?

mouldycheesefan Wed 21-Sep-16 18:46:20

No your son needs to adapt to the new routine by having a bigger breakfast. It is a faff for the teacher when 30 kids get an extra snack out, the snack will need Policing as someone will send chocolate, the rubbish needs disposing off, the snack tubs go back in bag, someone lost theirs, someone else forgot theirs etc to. It is high on faff factor.
Surely he can last a couple hours from snack till lunch? If not he needs to eat more breakfast.

panad317 Wed 21-Sep-16 18:49:46

Do you have to pay for the fruit? Doesn't he have free milk too? The school I'm in charge 25p for a piece of fruit, or they can bring their own, but all children have free milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now