Is this standard for year 6...?

(10 Posts)
mammasmadhouse Wed 21-Sep-16 16:34:17

My dd came home yesterday and said that she had been moved from the top group in all subjects (apart from maths) into the middle set. I asked her if the teacher said why and she said no. I suggested that she ask, so that she/we know if there is anything she needs to focus on. Today, she asked and the teacher said , because that's where I have put you...?

Yesterday in topic the supply teacher told everyone who hadn't completed a full page for the task they were given to sign themselves up for repeat work club today. (My dd was 4 lines short of a page and the content was not read) Today she went to repeat work club and found the supply had marked her work and she didn't have to add anything...?

Today in maths she was told to go to repeat work club, nit given a reason, got there did 1 question and then could go...?

How is this supposed to help a child's confidence..?

mrz Wed 21-Sep-16 17:41:04

Not standard at all

MrsGsnow18 Wed 21-Sep-16 17:43:53

I can understand not explaining to a child about moving groups but instead maybe explaining to parent.
The repeat work club doesn't make much sense, as a page of work wouldn't necessarily be equal from all children. Quality not quantity etc.

eyebrowsonfleek Wed 21-Sep-16 17:46:10

No. The page of writing task is weird as it surely depends on writing size. One of my children can fit in twice as many words on a line than another.

I would not be happy. (I'm a parent of a y6) If my child is daydreaming or messing about then they deserve to be told off but it sounds like your dd is doing fine.

AdaLovelacesCat Wed 21-Sep-16 17:46:26

they do sound a bit silly i must say.

redskytonight Wed 21-Sep-16 18:00:15

There is a repeat work "club"??!!!

I'd guess the groups might well be that the teacher is grouping them differently (i.e. not ability based).

The repeat work thing is just weird.

goingmadinthecountry Wed 21-Sep-16 21:39:39

Repeat work club sounds horrid. And a little unhinged. Teachers and schools are really panicking about KS2 SATS and the panic is the only reason I can suggest for such a silly idea.
I'm sure teacher has a reason for moving groups. If you want to know, go and ask.

bojorojo Thu 22-Sep-16 20:28:16

We do take children out for pre learning sessions in our school before a new maths topic to reinforce the basic concepts they need to know in order to make sense of the more complex new topic. However, it is not really repeat learning in the way you describe. I would ask what it is meant to achieve? Is it extra help for children who were stuck in class and could not progress without reinforcing something they had learnt before? If it is just finishing a piece of work, then is it a homework club, of sorts? Sounds very pressured though and the feedback from the teacher should explain why it is necessary. It feels odd though, so I would find out more about why it will help the children. I assume that is what it is designed to do!

kilmuir Fri 23-Sep-16 10:05:32

Blimey a ' repeat work club' sounds horrendous.

ReallyTired Fri 23-Sep-16 13:11:30

It's no wonder kids self esteem is in tatters across the uk. I think we need a mumsnet campaign. "Kids are people, not data!"

My daughter's class is currently sitting in mixed ablity groups for almost everything. Children who need intervention will work with the TA. There is none of this constant comparing and trying to size up who is the cleverest. The work is still differentiated where appriopiate but effective differentiation can be done discretely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now