Y2 ds and spellings/written work

(3 Posts)
Imperialleather2 Sun 18-Sep-16 19:46:30

Ds who has just turned 6 brought home his first y2 set of spellings on Friday.

They are ridiculously easy and he knew them blind. We had a similar issue last year and when I queried it I was told it's because he doesn't use them in his written work. The spellings he's got he had last year so I feel hes not really progressed at all.

We've asked ds.to.write a story and he spelt some of the words he 'knows' incorrectly. He seems to have a total lack of concentration and writes anyrhing down. When i said ad him to read back what he's written he could see it didn't make sense and when prompted.he corrected his work.

I'm going to go.and speak to his teacher but I'm at a bit of a loss. It seems pointless.to me to keep testing him via the same method when he doesn't seem.to be able to apply the spellings to his other work.

I am.really worried as i feel that he is slipping further and further behind.

Any suggestions/thoughts as to anything we can do?

Thanks

LockedOutOfMN Sun 18-Sep-16 19:49:22

Every week, when he brings home the spellings, encourage him to write two or three sentences using each word.

Talk about how the words would fit into a story or another piece of writing. Look out for them in books or other things you read.

Praise him and reward for being able to "proofread" his work without prompting - you can talk about switching on your checking eyes or putting on your checking goggles or something to act as a reminder.

Hope this helps.

irvineoneohone Sun 18-Sep-16 20:57:07

As LockedOutOfMN said, when my ds was yr2, his spelling homework was to write sentences using list of words. Words were easy for him, but using given words properly in the sentence was a great lesson. Way better than just memorizing spelling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now