SATs score - question for teachers

(20 Posts)
YouKnighted Sat 10-Sep-16 22:31:31

I've not see any stats regarding the KS2 SATs from this summer, so was just wondering - what sort of ranges were the scores in the class? Did you have kids that did much better or worse than you expected? Were the scores comparable to last year's levels 4 and 5's - ie did kids who last year you would have leveled as a 5, get higher scores on average than those you would have leveled as a 4?

Based on the scores your class got, what do you now think of as low, medium and high scores?

Obviously this is anecdotal and specific to your school's demographic, but I'm interested in your experience! Ta.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sat 10-Sep-16 23:04:14

Not a teacher but I found this site useful when looking at dd's marks.

Feenie Sun 11-Sep-16 11:37:23

www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/six-things-we-learned-todays-new-sats-figures

WhattodoSue Sun 11-Sep-16 13:02:51

Interesting link Feenie. Thanks for posting. I would argue that a smaller number achieving the top criteria is good. So many kids get the top level through school, it gives them a really inflated idea of what they can achieve at university. I'd be interested to know if school teachers agree. Perhaps it only works if everyone realises that there is simply a broader range of 'acceptable'. And that top marks are exceptional, not expected for the vast majority.

spanieleyes Sun 11-Sep-16 13:36:23

we know that but the Government don't seem to! Floor standard is still 65% achieving the expected in reading, writing and maths combined yet nationally only 53% of children did!

Feenie Sun 11-Sep-16 13:41:07

Agree re top marks. But the fact that only 53% reached age related expectations is very worrying - and says a lot about how realistic the expectations are.

BetweenTwoLungs Sun 11-Sep-16 14:32:54

Agree fewer children achieving highest level and I'd argue actually the children who are genuinely skilled in those areas (you could get a l5 easier than the highest scores in these tests is what I'm trying to say).

We did much better in maths than anticipated thanks to the arithmetic paper - some lower attaining children who scored very highly in this but bombed the reasoning papers still got 'expected'.

Reading was really hard.

Lots more children not achieving expected standard who would have got a level 4 in old money. In fact, I think if these children sat the old papers we'd have been looking at some 100% level 4 stats which we've never had before.

mrz Sun 11-Sep-16 14:39:28

Someone posted this ruling on an appeal (child had missed expected by one mark)

spanieleyes Sun 11-Sep-16 15:53:50

There was little difference between maths and GPS results this year and last but reading was much worse

mrz Sun 11-Sep-16 16:01:05

We got high 80s for reading about 10% down from previous years

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 11-Sep-16 16:26:31

mrz that is bonkers, it's clear what is meant and they are under test conditions, plus they probably learnt to write a comma before the curriculum had even been dreamt up. I can't see it hindering their path to a degree getting a comma at the wrong incline. At this rate one of mine will be resitting SATs alongside their finals (hypermobile and being tested for dyslexia)

mrz Sun 11-Sep-16 16:51:11

Agree it's shocking nitpicking!

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 11-Sep-16 19:56:23

It's a handwriting issue rather than a SPAG one surely?

The less said about the writing framework and its moderation the better the better.

Irisagogo Sun 11-Sep-16 20:58:14

Thank you for the link Feenie, very interesting.

How are these stacking up for the key stage one, if 110 is exceeding for key stage two, would key stage one be 108? ( I know they haven't given any key stage one markers but I'd be interested to know what teaches think)

My ds got 110 in reading and 114 in maths (key stage one) that has to be the top 3%-5% nationally for maths surely? Feeling very proud/shocked at those results now. He worked hard to achieve his best but school have played it down quite a lot. It's difficult to know as a parent, as you can't ask what the other children achieved ( without looking competitive) when really I just want to get a feel for how well he did.

mrz Mon 12-Sep-16 06:29:22

Key Stage 1 doesn't have one because the test results aren't reported

wtffgs Mon 12-Sep-16 07:11:59

mrz that is atrocious!

mrz Mon 12-Sep-16 07:29:46

They are just one piece of evidence towards the teacher's assessment which is reported.

Irisagogo Mon 12-Sep-16 07:29:53

I know that they don't report the key stage one results but I'm guessing you take a view on what would be exceeding.

mrz Mon 12-Sep-16 17:20:35

Not really the tests are so narrow we look at wider evidence

YorkieDorkie Mon 12-Sep-16 17:26:30

That comma rule takes in no account for fine motor skill issues or any physical difficulty in putting pen to paper. That is cruelty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now