August born - best age to start school?

(10 Posts)
July123 Sat 10-Sep-16 18:23:33

August born - better to start school aged four or aged five, especially boys who mature later than girls?

What if they are behind academically, coupled with being so young? Completing Reception, aged four.

Does starting so young put pressure on the teachers and pupils, considering the new and harder national curriculum too?

I'm not referring to being the youngest in the class- that's fine - but being very often just too young. Would teachers welcome August boys starting at five rather than four?

mrz Sun 11-Sep-16 07:33:40

Really depends on the child

SprogletsMum Sun 11-Sep-16 07:37:49

I think adults put a lot more stress onto this than there needs to be.
My daughter is August born she's now in year 1. She's not at the top of the class but then not all the September/October born children are either.

OnLikeDonkeyKong Sun 11-Sep-16 07:51:56

Both my Dc are August born. 25th and 26th. The oldest ds is now in year 6 and although I can sometimes see he is a more immature than some of his classmates, he is actually above most of them with regards to learning.
Dd is now in year 4 and is so mature she seems no younger than the children who have September birthdays and are already 9. However she struggles more academically and is probably mid range compared to her peers. It really does depend on the child.

PikachuSayBoo Sun 11-Sep-16 07:55:18

I might be wrong but I thought if you started them at 5 then they just missed reception and went into year 1? So would miss a year and possibly be further behind?

I know recently some parents have had success with getting their child to actually start reception at age 4 but I thought that was still very unusual and hard to get agreement to?

Which were you thinking of?

kookiekookie Sun 11-Sep-16 07:59:30

Stop worrying and stressing over how your child will fair in comparison to other children. If it's a good school the teachers will differentiate the work to suit all students.

I would not delay my daughter's education as I have no doubt even now that she'll cope. She's a July 2015 baby.

donajimena Sun 11-Sep-16 08:01:33

I have a 31 August boy. Now in year 7. He has done really well in school and is a high achiever. As much as you can be in primary.
sometimes he did seem immature compared to his peers but academically he is doing fine.
It never occurred to me to hold him back.

Justwanttoweeinpeace Sun 11-Sep-16 08:14:40

Flexible School Admissions For Summer Borns is a fantastic Facebook group who have lots of resources to help you out.

We intend to start our son at Compulsory School Age and the advice from members has been invaluable. There is a full range of experiences and lots of friendly people ready to answer questions.

Good luck.

MrEBear Sun 11-Sep-16 09:02:30

I am in Scotland where the right to defer starting school has been in place for years. I think it very much depends on the child I don't think you can say all the youngest should or should not defer.

For some deferring would equal frustration and boredom. For others pushing them forward would equal a long struggle. Lots of things to consider the emotional maturity of the child, their ability to sit and listen, how interested they are in learning.

eeyoresgrumpierfriend Sun 11-Sep-16 11:51:14

My DD is late August born and academically towards the top of her year. Socially it is more tricky not least because she has several girls in her class who have delayed a year because they are summer born i.e. they are 14 months older than her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now