Children's Sci-Fi books

(13 Posts)
LotsOfBooks77 Thu 08-Sep-16 13:16:28

My (now) Y2 daughter really enjoyed reading the Alien Adventures Project X books last year (bands 11-13 iirc). Can anyone recommend any similar "proper" chapter books?
Over the holidays she's been happily reading Dahl, etc.
Thank you!

IcedVanillaLatte Thu 08-Sep-16 13:18:53

I'd look into Bruce Coville's books (e.g. the My Teacher Is An Alien series or the Rod Albright series).

IcedVanillaLatte Thu 08-Sep-16 13:44:04

I just started a thread on chat to see if someone could identify a book I've been trying to find for years… five minutes later, and I've found it myself blush I swear, I've googled the hell out of it for years! The universe just likes to laugh at me.

Memoirs of a Dangerous Alien.

IcedVanillaLatte Thu 08-Sep-16 13:52:35

That last one is almost certainly too old for her though. The Coville books… I dunno. Depends how strong a reader she is, I suppose.

PartiallyStars Thu 08-Sep-16 13:56:49

I liked Sci Fi at that age but think I mostly read novelisations of Doctor Who. There are some modern Doctor Who Young Reader books, I don't know what age they are aimed at.

IcedVanillaLatte Thu 08-Sep-16 13:57:45

Having looked up the series you mentioned, both my suggestions are too difficult, I think. Sorry blush

catkind Thu 08-Sep-16 14:30:52

There are two series of alien adventures books, has she had both? One is a slightly easier reading level but doesn't really make much difference, they're just a little shorter.
DS is fond of Astrosaurs, that's a similarly rather formulaic series with lots of books to read and maybe a step or two up from Project X in terms of reading difficulty.

chamenager Thu 08-Sep-16 17:30:37

Sea Quest.

DS (also just started Y2) has just read book 1 and then I had a peek too and only then realised that it is SciFi (that goes beyond spaceships and aliens)! I had assumed it was Fantasy like Beast Quest, more of the same.

It is a just as formulaic as many other series, and has its share of 'boring' traditional SciFi elements - except that when you haven't read much SciFi before you won't realise! Just as Beast Quest has all the dragons and wizards and kind kings and a hero with companions and unknowingly noble parentage ...

Sea Quest set on a water planet that humans share with another species, the water-breathing Merryn. There is an ancient live-and-let-live peace treaty between the species, but modern humans have forgotten their history and regular people don't know about the other species. There is lots of advanced technology, gadgets etc and Merryn have some magic. There is a big part of cyborg technology - evil human controlling sea beasts through cyber harnesses.
The hero is a human boy who is accompanied by a Merryn girl, her swordfish 'ride' and his robo-dog.

RueDeWakening Thu 08-Sep-16 17:56:31

Magic Treehouse series?
Sam Silver series
Dinosaur Cove series

- all have a time/space travel element but nothing more SciFi-y really.

Usborne Young Reading do a variety of abridged classic stories, I'm not sure what sci fi they have but there might be something suitable?

LotsOfBooks77 Thu 08-Sep-16 19:45:30

Thank you for the replies.
She has read the harder series of Alien Adventures but was getting through them 4 at a time! Hence looking for something with similar themes but proper book length.
I'll have a look at the SeaQuest books - I've waved BeastQuest ones at her before but she hasn't been interested.
I hadn't thought about Doctor Who. We've got some novelisations of the Star Wars films...
Maybe there's a gap in the market for space-based books for younger readers!

mrz Fri 09-Sep-16 07:16:34

Simon Bartram writes a series of short chapter books Clone Chaos, Heartless Robots, Bob and the disappearing moon etc

catkind Fri 09-Sep-16 23:09:10

Ooh I know, how about the George's Secret Key to the Universe books?

LotsOfBooks77 Sat 10-Sep-16 14:51:27

They look amazing! Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now