Starting Reception full day as standard- anyone else

(19 Posts)
Lindorable Wed 07-Sep-16 18:34:48

We had the home visit and we visited the school with me there, all fine. Staff seem nice.

But I am now stressing because school is about to start and their policy is straight in to full days for new starters. They start the DC all in together on same day whether or not they were in their school's nursery.

I just can't see my PFB settling into a full day at school from the off. He wasn't at the school nursery.

Have any of your DCs settled in to full days straight away?

Hoppinggreen Wed 07-Sep-16 18:35:53

Both my DC did it with no issues at all.
The school still does it and all the kids seem to manage fine

atticusclaw2 Wed 07-Sep-16 18:36:40

Mine were both fine. They were at nursery for longer hours.

They were both tired at the end of the day though (for most of reception!)

girlsyearapart Wed 07-Sep-16 18:37:25

Yep ds did today straight in first day full class full day. He loved it. Tired now though!
He is the 4th child has all his sisters there and went to the school nursery so bit different.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Wed 07-Sep-16 18:38:14

My son started today & went straight into a full day. The children are starting a few every day over about 10 days but all are doing full days from the start. My DS was fine & all the other mums I chatted to said their children were fine too.

Lindorable Wed 07-Sep-16 18:38:57

Thank you. It's good to know we are not the only ones! And breathe...

Lilaclily Wed 07-Sep-16 18:41:14

Oh I found full days much easier

With ds we had one week a couple of hours in the morning

Then a week of morning plus lunch

Then a week of afternoons

And finally full days

Had to use all my annual leave and he was so confused why he couldn't stay all day

Dd went to straight full days , made friends with everyone not just the morning people, much easier to adjust
Not overly tired as had been at nursery 8 to 6pm
the staff know how to cope, there's a lot of playing, a lot of helping at lunch time etc

ReggieJones Wed 07-Sep-16 18:44:52

Remember it will be very play based especially in the early days and very focused on helping children to get used to school. So shouldn't feel to much like hard work, although they will still be tired.

teacher54321 Wed 07-Sep-16 18:45:05

Ds started on Monday and was full time from the off. I work at the school and finish later so he wil be in after school club pretty much every day. He's been teary at drop off (always has been-he's a wimp!) but is having a whale of a time once he's there.

Pixilicious Wed 07-Sep-16 18:45:24

My daughter's school takes them from 3 and she went straight in on full days 18 months . I didn't even think about half days etc until I found out that's how all the other schools do it as that's what her friends startin

Pixilicious Wed 07-Sep-16 18:45:55

In reception are doing now confused

Pixilicious Wed 07-Sep-16 18:46:14

In reception are doing now confused

StillRabbit Thu 08-Sep-16 14:39:37

Both my DCs did full days from the start with no issues. Where I work, all the reception children have full days from the start. All the children are perfectly happy.

Pengweng Thu 08-Sep-16 16:07:15

Yes the DTs started this week straight into full days. They had been to the school nursery but only for 3 hours a day so I was a bit worried they would be tired but other than being a tad cranky and apparently STARVING!! they have been fine and bedtime as usual at 7pm.

Lindorable Thu 08-Sep-16 19:47:43

Thanks- your positive stories have really cheered me up!

MrsJoeyMaynard Thu 08-Sep-16 19:53:23

DS1's school does full days for all reception children straight away too. I asked the reception teacher about it when we did the school visit, and she told me that they feel the children settle in faster when it's done like that.

Generally the kids seem to manage fine.

buffalogrumble Thu 08-Sep-16 21:09:58

My dc's school has just moved from a protracted half day start to full days from day 1. Apparently this year's reception are settling very well and the full days are helping.

Idliketobeabutterfly Fri 09-Sep-16 12:26:09

Yep full day as standard here since Tuesday and no real issues yet except he is tired.

MiaowTheCat Fri 09-Sep-16 14:30:02

They split the intake and started the older half at the beginning of the week joined by the summer-borns toward the end - full days from the outset.

DD1 was fine yesterday - still bouncing around like mad and manic as normal at 6am this morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now