Please educate me about school uniforms

(7 Posts)
Homeymum2 Wed 07-Sep-16 18:00:10

We have applied for a place at school, we were unable to do so earlier, because we have just moved to the UK and did not have a tenancy agreement until 2 weeks ago. So we don't know what our school assignment will be- and thus, do not know what uniform to purchase.

Are there certain basic pieces required for most schools that we should go ahead and get?

If we wait till we know what school we are in will uniforms be harder to find/more expensive?
TIA

BusStopBetty Wed 07-Sep-16 18:03:56

State school? Hold off as the colours vary. All the major supermarkets sell uniform, as do M&S, John Lewis and debenhams. Might had to order online post September, but you can likely get next day delivery.

Supermarkets are cheapest.

dementedpixie Wed 07-Sep-16 18:04:06

Unless you know the basic color scheme then you can't really buy stuff e.g. ds wears grey trousers at his school but dd has to wear black at hers. Also depends if they have shirts or polo shirts and what colour they are too

Bumpmadethemjump Wed 07-Sep-16 18:05:25

I guess you could buy some plain black school shoes but I wouldn't get anything else yet.

RoganJosh Wed 07-Sep-16 18:10:58

Uniforms are always available online at:
www.asda.com/george
www.tesco.com/direct

Both very cheap

Slightly more expensive and slightly nicer
www.next.co.uk
www.marksandspencer.co.uk

The price will be the same now or in a few weeks or months. You can get delivered to store for free if you want to avoid a delivery charge.

You may have to order logoed jumpers directly from the school. Some schools have these, some don't.

Homeymum2 Wed 07-Sep-16 19:12:17

Thank you all!

Sootica Wed 07-Sep-16 19:16:46

I have to get my kids uniform from a school uniform shop for the top and jumper as they have a logo, skirts / trousers are grey and can be bought from any supermarket/Department store but some schools have black or navy bottoms. I never have an issue buying uniform throughout the year and the uniform shop always has sufficient sizes. If you did get stuck for availability the school or PTA probably has a second hand stock too.
I would agree only shoes are safe to buy now. Bags and socks etc all vary too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now