What after school clubs would you like your school to offer?

(24 Posts)
todgerthedodger Sun 04-Sep-16 14:01:13

Just this really. The school where I work has asked for volunteers to run after school clubs. What sort of after school clubs does your child's school offer or ideally, what do you wish they would offer? I've a couple of ideas I'd like to put to the head but not sure if they would be popular or not! Thanks in advance.

Crasterwaves Sun 04-Sep-16 20:31:14

We've had gardening, recorders, cooking, crafting. Think all those are great - Lego would be nice, football, dance (something that would be accessible to boys too like street dance), singing/drama

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 04-Sep-16 20:36:51

Off the top of my head we have had gardening, Lego, drama, choir, dance, street dance, football, Karate, rugby, multi sports. It would really help me out if they did some sort of homework club. I wish they would do French as I think 1hr a week is too little and maybe some form of cooking or basic woodwork etc.

chunkymum1 Sun 04-Sep-16 20:51:19

The only after school clubs currently offered by my DC primary school are choir (but that's only for year 5 and 6) and sports clubs. From a parent's point of view I'd like there to be clubs to appeal to most children (not just sporty ones and older singers)- love the idea of lego club, languages, craft, gardening. I think in general it would be good for schools to offer fun fitness clubs (ie for children who are not really in to a particular sport but could benefit from being more active).

Kanga59 Sun 04-Sep-16 21:17:27

musical instruments, football, we have a local judo company come in and offer a judo class, any sports, lego club, crafting club, homework club, reading club

DubiousCredentials Sun 04-Sep-16 21:26:48

Something to encourage girls to do sport - most of the sports clubs at our school are traditionally boy sports (football/rugby/cricket) which are obviously open to girls too, and some do go, but it would be nice to see something that a broader range of the girls would like to do. My dd (7) for example would love something like "music and movement", just prancing about to pop music in a loosely organised manner. But also netball, skipping or just bloody something that would appeal to them to get them moving.

Dd would also like colouring, singing or art.

CMOTDibbler Sun 04-Sep-16 21:29:26

My ds loved scooter club, and really enjoys coding club. He's also done commando club which was run by a local guy who does bootcamp style fitness classes for adults

HelsinkiLights Sun 04-Sep-16 21:35:03

At DD's old school we had Drama, French, Judo, Football, Netball, Cross Country, Chess, Art & Film Club.
At DD's new school only football & before/after school kids club. Luckily there are are plenty of extra curricular activities in the area we live in.

FanSpamTastic Sun 04-Sep-16 21:59:01

We had Code Club start last year, which has been really popular. It is run by an outside volunteer for free and school just have to provide room, computers and a teacher as a chaperone (but they can be getting on with marking in the corner they don't need to teach or do anything).

muminthecity Sun 04-Sep-16 22:10:43

Ours currently offer football, rugby, athletics, netball, chess, craft, computers, dance, cheerleading, Lego, singing and gardening. DD would love to do a martial art so it'd be great if they offered that too. They used to do sewing, knitting and cooking as well but they didn't last long, I'm not sure why, maybe they were less popular.

irvineoneohone Sun 04-Sep-16 22:13:11

Coding club would be popular. Our school stopped since teacher left.
Art/drawing club, but not craft club.

My ds's school's clubs are very limited. I wish the school asks for parent volunteer for them, that's how most of after school clubs are run in my country. I would be happy to do it for free, if they want me to run some my native language/ drawing/ computing, whatever I can.

Aftershock15 Sun 04-Sep-16 22:24:06

irvine why don't you offer rather than wait to be asked for volunteers? I assume the school think parents wouldn't want to do clubs rather than they don't want them.

irvineoneohone Sun 04-Sep-16 22:30:41

Aftershock15, I know, I was thinking about it for sometime.
Just that I was afraid of being bit too pushy/overconfident/ whatever.

Leeds2 Mon 05-Sep-16 00:13:20

The school where I volunteer offers netball, sewing, swimming, pottery, art, Mandarin, ballet and Bollywood dancing. I think there are more, but I can't remember what they are!

When my DD was there, she liked netball and basketball (no longer offered).

I would like a gardening and cookery club.

Yokohamajojo Mon 05-Sep-16 10:48:00

Our school finish an hour earlier on a Friday which is a bit of a pain for working parents. They do offer Drama or Chess but it's difficult to get spaces and they don't seem to run throughout the semester. I would like a homework club that hour. Both could do their homework and the weekend would be stress free!! :-)

noramum Mon 05-Sep-16 11:17:05

Not so much sport. I know it is important to be active but I think there are so many children who would benefit from a more non-sporty club

Drama and/or music
Lego
Coding or general IT, especially about security and safety for the Y6 who will most likely get smartphones for secondary
Photography
creative writing
comic making
book club
drawing and painting or other art like pottery
woodwork

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 05-Sep-16 11:20:02

Science club.

DS used to attend one at his old school and it was always oversubscribed despite running two sessions. He loved making cars, goo, simple electric circuits etc.

I wish his new school would do one. I don't mind paying.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 05-Sep-16 11:21:03

Art club also v popular.

Cakescakescakes Mon 05-Sep-16 11:22:31

Lego would be amazing

SprogletsMum Mon 05-Sep-16 11:23:11

At our school I'd like free sports clubs. They usually run 2 different sports but through an outside provider so they're usually about £25 per term.
I usually sign my dc up for any club they are allowed to go to.

redskytonight Mon 05-Sep-16 12:16:17

Not clubs that are readily available out of school (so probably not so much sport!). Lego/board games would be good as would things like book club/creative writing/science club.

Aftershock15 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:36:48

irvine you should go for it and offer. If they do turn you down they are mad. Just decide what you want to offer and for how many and suggest it. I used to run a speed stacking club at dc primary. I discovered the school had a massive set that they never used and said I was happy to run a club just needed a classroom. Did it for 18 months until my children moved on to secondary. It was popular with an odd mixture of children. Some got really good, others just liked a social club where they could chat to people while vaguely playing the games, but knew I came down hard on children who unpleasant to others, so they could relax.

slightlyglitterbrained Mon 05-Sep-16 20:44:23

What do Lego clubs involve - is it just a few big boxes of Lego & some tables?

Ashers40 Mon 05-Sep-16 21:37:01

We have loads- cookery, Spanish, football, netball, judo, gardening, art, musical theatre, cricket, rugby, ballet, street dance, creative writing, choir, tennis, band, exercise class to name a few. Some are run by teachers and are free, some are run by external groups at a cost. They are all pretty popular and often preferred by parents as an alternative to after school club. I'd like to see a chess club, coding and extra French.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now