App recommendations for 4 yr old

(15 Posts)
ilovesthediff Fri 02-Sep-16 07:15:54

Hi,
Just that really. Son about to start reception and wondered what people have on their tablets.

MrsJoeyMaynard Fri 02-Sep-16 07:35:28

On DS1's (recently turned 5) profile on our tablet, along the more educational side, we have Teach Your Monster to Read, some Numtums ones, the cBeebies apps, and a few phonics matching apps.

Other apps he likes include Thinkrolls, Blocky Roads, Monument Valley, Hoopa City, and apps featuring favourite characters (e.g. Thomas and Friends, Peppa Pig)

ilovesthediff Fri 02-Sep-16 07:56:51

Ooh, haven't seen Teach Your Monster. Will check out.

Stellabystarlight Fri 02-Sep-16 08:27:47

We have intro to math and intro to letters by Montessorium which my 4yo DD loves. Alongside youtube kids, iplayer kids and netflix of course!

ilovesthediff Fri 02-Sep-16 12:19:30

Thank you! He just needs some variety. Have added a couple. Will see how we go.

BlueChampagne Fri 02-Sep-16 12:20:56

Pocketphonics

Idliketobeabutterfly Fri 02-Sep-16 13:18:36

Some f the busy things are lots of fun. My five year old is just starting reception and loves minecraft too and CBeebies ap.

Iwantawhippet Sun 04-Sep-16 18:51:12

Pirate phonics is brilliant and my son arrived in reception with great knowledge of phonics from doing it. And he loved it too - lots of fun games, and a cartoon type story.

Iwantawhippet Sun 04-Sep-16 18:53:22

Also number bonds by thinkout. It uses a rocket to tech children how number bonds work. It is visual maths and very intuitive.

Iwantawhippet Sun 04-Sep-16 19:01:19

Number bonds by thinkout. Brilliant visual illustration of how they work.

Ferguson Sun 04-Sep-16 19:28:28

REAL THINGS :bricks, jigsaw puzzles, dough,sand, water in various containers, Lego, sewing, card models, etc are MUCH better and more important than 'aps'.

And learn to play a musical instrument as well.

FoxesSitOnBoxes Sun 04-Sep-16 19:31:18

Hip hop hen and teach your monster to read are excellent. I'm embarrassed to say that early rising 3 year old DD is given our iPad in the morning if she comes in at half five and (with pretty much zero input from us) has just about taught herself to read

FoxesSitOnBoxes Sun 04-Sep-16 19:32:17

hmm Ferguson. Real things. Shit I must try that one day

MrsJoeyMaynard Mon 05-Sep-16 07:16:02

I'm sure that no one's advocating letting a 4 yr old spend unlimited amounts of free time on apps.

Ferguson Wed 07-Sep-16 19:17:42

Foxes - Yeah, it's what kids USED to do in the 'old days' - before electronics was invented!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now