KS2 SATS

(4 Posts)
anager Mon 29-Aug-16 19:36:27

Hi everyone,

I have a question about KS2 SATS. My son is going to year 6 in September and he is going to have his SATs in May 2017. We have to apply for a secondary school place by 31/10/16... I always thought that whether he gets a place at our chosen school would partly depend on his SATs result... Today I read we will find out about his allocated school in March 2017... Does it mean his SATs will have nothing to do with it???

Im confused... Explain plsss

admission Mon 29-Aug-16 20:47:50

The KS2 SATS have nothing to do with the admission process to secondary school. They are designed as a reflection of what pupils have learnt in their time in the school between KS1 and KS2, though there are plenty of thoughts about whether this is the case.
The places at secondary school are allocated solely on the admission criteria of the school, which is what you need to look at in considering which are the right schools for your child. The only exception to this is where the school is a grammar school, where there will be an exam administered by the grammar school, which is used as part of the admission criteria for the school.

anager Tue 30-Aug-16 19:50:27

Its so much clearer now; thanks for your reply. I will have to look into criteria of each school we are interested in.
Having said that ... I see no point of SATs now. I know what they are for but putting so much pressure on kids is ridiculous...
Thanks again

Dixiechickonhols Tue 30-Aug-16 20:05:04

Some schools do have selection tests but they are completely separate from sats. If you are in or near a grammar area the tests are next month then you get the result before the 31/10/16 so you can choose accordingly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now