Art shirt?

(12 Posts)
Ginmummy1 Wed 17-Aug-16 13:02:53

Just spotted in an old Y1 info sheet on school website that they need an 'art shirt'.

Back in my schooldays, it was one of my Dad's old shirts. In Reception they had aprons and we didn't have to provide anything.

I can find lots of choices of painting smocks etc online, but I don't know what kids actually tend to use these days. A purchased plastic thing, or a purchased shirt in a bigger size than their actual size, or actually one of their dad's old shirts, or something else? I don't want to spend money on the wrong thing, or have DD turn up in the wrong thing and get laughed at!

irvineoneohone Wed 17-Aug-16 13:31:56

At my ds's school, they asked to send old adult's tshirts.
Some children had proper bought ones, mine took my old t shirt.

catkind Wed 17-Aug-16 18:00:54

Yes, old adult t-shirts are perfect.

LadyPenelope68 Wed 17-Aug-16 19:12:40

My class just bring in an old tshirt of their parents, works the best.

Ginmummy1 Thu 18-Aug-16 08:22:45

Fab - thanks.

Now... what about sleeves? I would have thought that the child's cardigan/shirt sleeves would be the first things to get messy, and a T-shirt won't help much...

nancy75 Thu 18-Aug-16 08:24:10

Did had an old shirt, dp doesn't wear shirts ever so I get one from a charity shop for about £1

irvineoneohone Thu 18-Aug-16 08:31:00

If you are worried about sleeves, just send in old long sleeved t-shirt/shirt, or painting smocks. At my ds's school, it really didn't matter what they have. Some had old long sleeved shirt.
Ask the teacher or friend who has older children what majority of children use, so your dd doesn't feel she got a wrong thing. [mile]

irvineoneohone Thu 18-Aug-16 08:31:54

smile not a mile!

LadyPenelope68 Thu 18-Aug-16 09:04:01

I get my pupils to take their jumpers off before painting.

irvineoneohone Thu 18-Aug-16 09:35:49

I really didn't care if my ds was covered in paint.(And he always was.)
It's water based anyway, so easily came out with washing.

noramum Thu 18-Aug-16 10:32:16

DD had an apron with long sleeves. They always took off jumpers/cardigans anyway.

Her school preferred it over fabric shirts as they were faster drying and easier to store.

catkind Thu 18-Aug-16 19:00:59

What they really need smocks for is writing. Always had shirts covered with whiteboard pen, and that didn't wash out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now